Leonardo DiCaprio: Megastar Actor, Charitable Environmentalist & Hollywood Heartthrob

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Lots of love, for Leo!

The film industry’s leading man, Leonardo DiCaprio, has captivated audiences across the world like no other has before. Notably, Leo has portrayed some of the most iconic characters in film: Romeo in Romeo & Juliet, Jack Dawson in Titanic, Howard Hughes in The Aviator, Frank Abagnale Jr. in Catch Me If You Can, Jay Gatsby in The Great Gatsby, Jordan Belfort in The Wolf of Wall Street, J. Edgar Hoover in J. Edgar and Calvin Candie in Django Unchained. DiCaprio is known for his collaborations with legendary filmmaker, Martin Scorsese. Together they have done: The Wolf of Wall Street, Gangs of New York, The Departed, The Aviator and Shutter Island.

The talented actor celebrated his 40th birthday on November 11th. It was a star studded soiree, and was held at Soho House in West Hollywood. Leo celebrated with close friends, such as: Tobey Maguire, Jonah Hill, Robin Thicke, Kevin Connolly, Adam Levine, Russell Simmons and Tyrese Gibson. Guests feasted on mini crab cake burgers, tuna tartar bites and freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. Turning forty is not old and he knows that. He stated, “It seems like the age barometer where you’re still considered youthful is getting higher and higher. I’m going to hold on to that ideal as long as I can.”

Leonardo DiCaprio is not only a talented actor, he’s a charitable environmentalist. Even his New York City home in Battery Park City in Lower Manhattan is eco-friendly. He owns an electric Tesla Roadster, hybrid and Toyota Prius. On his home in Los Angeles, he installed solar panels. For his devotion to the environment, he received a nomination in 2010 for the VH1 Do Something Awards. This year he was also appointed as a United Nations representative on climate change. The film star donated $35,000 dollars for a ‘Leonardo DiCaprio Computer Center’ at the Los Feliz branch of the Los Angeles Public Library, which happens to be the site of his childhood home. He even donated $1 million dollars to relief efforts in Haiti after the earthquake. He’s an activist for gay rights and donated $61,000 to GLAAD in 2013. He gave $1 million dollars to the Wildlife Conservation Society in 2010. In addition to being charitable for fantastic causes, he raises awareness for them. He narrated and produced the film ‘The 11th Hour’ about the natural environment, social responsibility and conservation. The film premiered in 2007 at the Cannes Film Festival.

Whether he’s portraying characters on camera with passion, helping to protect the environment or raising awareness for great movements – he is doing so with charisma and devotion.

Thank you for all that you do, Leo!

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside