A Few Quotes To Remind Us To Be Thankful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

During the day to day happenings of life, it can be easy to get caught up in what is going on around you. I know that this first semester of college has been quite an adjustment for me and what I’ve realized recently is that whatever I’m going through—although it may seem like a big deal at the time—when I stop and think about the bigger picture, I realize that it’s really not a big deal at all. With Thanksgiving coming up this week, I wanted to share a few of my favorite quotes that help me put things into perspective and remind me to stop and appreciate where I am right now.  

1. Remember when you wanted what you currently have.

This is the quote that actually inspired me to write this article. I was scrolling through Tumblr one night and happened to see this quote and it made me stop and think for a moment. As I said, this first semester of college has been an adjustment, but after reading this quote, my stresses of school work and deadlines were put aside for a moment and I started to think about the bigger picture of what is currently going on in my life. I’m in my first semester of college in New York City. This time last year, I was hoping that I would be able to go to school in NYC and once I realized that, I was reminded of how lucky I am to be here right now.

2. Be Obsessively Grateful.

Following the previous quote, there’s my second quote which is “Be Obsessively Grateful”. When I saw this quote on my Instagram feed, I absolutely loved it. I loved it for its aesthetic, but more importantly the message behind it. Throughout life, it can be easy to sometimes get caught up in the minor inconveniences that life throws at you. This quote resonated with me as a reminder to never forget what I currently have and to always be grateful for what I’m given.

3. Because when you stop & look around, life is pretty amazing.

Since moving to New York City, I’ve started taking this quote very literally. I’m constantly stopping and looking around in awe at the architecture and the beauty that makes up New York City. I always think “Oh my gosh, I can’t believe I live here” and look around in amazement at how lucky I am to be able to call this city my home.

4. Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop & look around once in a while, you could miss it.

And last, but certainly not least, some words of wisdom from Ferris Bueller in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. This movie has been a favorite of mine for a long time and this quote has always stuck out to me. I think it’s resonated with me due to the fact that the more you think about it, you come to realize how true it is. Especially in this day in age with social media and many other distractions right at our fingertips, it can be easy to lose sight of what really matters. This quote is the underlying message of the whole film. We need to stop, look around, live in the moment, and appreciate what is currently happening in our lives.

Olivia Marrone is a senior at Marymount Manhattan College, majoring in Business with a concentration in Fashion Marketing & minoring in Digital Journalism. Marrone's writing primarily focuses on fashion & lifestyle journalism, with concentrations in style inspiration, social media & life in New York City. Along with writing, she is also passionate about photography, fashion, art, & traveling. She is currently based in New York City.        
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli