This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

This semester has been full of moments that I have learned to cherish — from poetry slams to nights where I did not have a ton of homework, I was taught to not take any moment for granted.

We will not always win every competition, but if you can grow from each event then you have already won. As cliche as it may sound, there is nothing more rewarding than growing as a person. The ability to be competitive and not let it consume your life is truly one of the best skills to have. Not only will you enjoy the moments, but you will also grow as a person.  

I have taken poetry workshops through Urban Word NYC for most of this semester, and I have enjoyed every second. To walk into a room and have everyone know your name is the best feeling and I have been able to express myself through my work more easily. The support that you receive from the people around you is important, and with it, you can achieve your goals. In that sense, I have already won.

As I go into the semifinals of the NYC Poetry Slam this Friday, I am anxious to hear the five poets who make it to the finals. But even if I do not win, I realize that the best prize was developing myself as an author and creating the relationships with the people I have met along the way. What could possibly be more satisfying than that?

I am a freshman at Marymount Manhattan College where I currently study Theatre Arts and New Media. A few of my favorite things are music, writing and tea.
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli