Style > Beauty

Disney Premieres Its First Gay Character in ‘Beauty and the Beast’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

With less than two days left until the premiere of Disney’s new live-action version of “Beauty and the Beast”, major news just hit the stands. After seeing tons of trailers and clips of the upcoming movie, Attitude magazine recently revealed that the film will feature Disney’s first ever gay character.

Director Bill Condon exclusively revealed to Attitude that Gaston’s sidekick, LeFou (played by Frozen’s Josh Gad) will be the first Disney character to be revealed as gay.  

According to the interview, Condon reveals that LeFou is “somebody who on one day wants to be Gaston and on another day, wants to kiss Gaston.” LeFou is someone who is realizing he has these feelings and struggles with coming to terms to it. Condon doesn’t give us much information on the subject, but he states that there will be an exclusively gay moment in the movie.

At the film’s premiere, Gad stated, “Bill Condon did an amazing job of giving us an opportunity to create a version of LeFou that isn’t like the original, that expands on what the original did, but that makes him more human and that makes him a wonderfully complex character to some extent.” Gad called the movie’s gay scene as “subtle but incredibly effective.”

Unfortunately, the movie has received some backlash from people who do not support the LGBT community. The Henagar Drive-In movie theater in DeKalb County, Alabama, announced on its Facebook page on Thursday, March 2nd that it will not be showing the film because of its gay character.

With the recent election, it is extremely important that the LGBT community gets the support they deserve. While it is hard to believe that it took Disney this long to promote same-sex love, people are praising the fact that the day has finally come. If you’re a Disney addict like me–make sure you buy your tickets soon, before they sell out for the opening weekend!

And remember, LOVE IS LOVE!

Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli