Brooke Materia, ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Name: Brooke MateriaHometown: Hamilton, NJMajor: Communication Arts with a concentration in Creative Media and a minor in Political Science (I’m really fancy)On Campus Involvement: I’m the Treasurer of the Campus Activities Board. Come to CAB meetings Mondays at 1 in Main 701 please! Other things I’m involved with on campus include writing for HerCampus and complaining to Chartwells that we don’t have enough Mac and Cheese days.Past Internships/Jobs: Right now I intern at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre and I work at a frozen yogurt place. Once I worked at Chipotle for 3 weeks.Best memory at MMC: Hurricane Sandy for a couple of reasons. 1) It was the first time where most people had emergency alerts go off on their phones. Almost my entire class got an emergency alert and everyone’s phone went off at once and it was awesome. 2) My friends and I just watched movies in the dorm and ate for like, 10 hours straight. 3) For the next few days after the storm, we got incredibly dirt cheap tickets to a bunch of broadway showsFav Class You’ve Taken: I’ve liked all my video production classes a lot. Also, my web workshop class was a lot of fun because I was friends with half of the class, and one day a girl came in an hour and a half late with a neck brace and we all still talk about it.Advice for freshman: Don’t live at 1760. Don’t wait until ten hours before your family comes to move you out in May to pack up your room. Don’t be afraid to cry in public. Never leave your bed in the morning without checking your Marymount email to see if any classes got cancelled. Invest in rainboots.

FavesMovie: The Wizard of OzTV Show: Broad CityBook: YES PLEASE BY AMY POEHLERStudy Spot: the SOSSong: I don’t have a favorite right now but will recommend any and every song by the Spice Girls, Lorde, and Judy GarlandSnack: Cheese (in almost all of it’s forms)Celebrity Crush: NICK JONAS AFTER THOSE PICTURES HE JUST TOOK please tweet me @brookeanne to talk about Nick Jonas and if you haven’t seen the pictures I will send them to you.Magazine: Rookie Mag! (It’s online but it counts)Website: www.hercampus.com/author/brooke-materia

Pick One!Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt? Froyo because I get it for freeStarbucks or Dunkin Donuts? Starbucks for coffee but Dunkin for munchkinsStay up late or wake up early? Stay up late. don’t even talk to me before 1pmBrooklyn Nets or New York Knicks? you’re asking me a basketball question? I go to Marymount. It’s impressive that I know this is a basketball question.Concerts or Broadway Shows? BOTH! I’ve gone to a lot of broadway shows for really cheap or free because of school(come to CAB meetings main 701 Mondays at 1) but also I’ve been to a few really amazing concerts in the last year so please don’t make me choose.Union Square Park or Washington Square Park? Neither. They’re both too far and have too many NYU people. I like all of the parks on the East River, like the one on 86th and East End Ave or any of the ones on Sutton Place and the 50s.Walk or Subway? I’m a huge fan of the bus. I try to avoid walking at all costs.Gossip Girl or Sex & The City? Although gossip and sex are both very appealing, I’ve never seen either show.

Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside