This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

When John Lennon wrote the lyric, ‘We all shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun,’ he certainly was not talking about my face. My skin is really oily, like BP had a repeat 2010 performance oily. If you have oily skin, you can understand the eternal struggle of trying to find make-up products that have the capability to keep your skin matte all day. I’ve tried numerous; some worked, others not so much. So finally after years of searching, I finally found the ultimate assortment of products that helps to combat the oiliness of my skin.

Julep Charcoal Konjac Sponge~ $12.00 Ulta Beauty

This sponge is truly a life changing product. I had never heard of a Konjac sponge before and I just picked one up at Ulta on a whim. It looked fun in the packaging so I figured, ‘Why not?’ When I went back home and opened up the package, I realized that the sponge is actually kind of rubbery and damp-feeling. I did some research on the Konjac sponge and learned that it is used for ridding your face of impurities and excess oils. By cleansing my face with the Konjac sponge, I noticed an immediate difference. My skin is softer and has more of a natural glow. I typically replace mine every three months, just to ensure that no bacteria builds up within the sponge. Yes, it is expensive for a sponge but I noticed an immediate difference in the overall look and feel of my skin.

CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser~ $8.49 Target

So, after you purchase your wonderful little Konjac sponge, you might be left thinking, ‘Gee, do I just lather it with Dove and call it a day?’  Definitely not. This CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser is the ultimate companion to your new Konjac sponge. Think of them as the Laverne & Shirley of skincare. I used to use the Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash, but after a recommendation by a friend, I decided to switch up the routine and couldn’t be more pleased with the results. I feel that the CeraVe face wash lathers more, which in my opinion, leads to a cleaner face. It is also gentle on skin; sometimes the Cetaphil would actually dry out my face completely, leaving me with painful dry patches on my chin. The CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser is also oil-free, which is a must if you have oily skin You want to keep oils away, not re-introduce them to your face after you have washed it. I wash my face with this morning and night and couldn’t be more pleased with the results.

Make Up Forever Step 1 Skin Equalizing Primer~ $37.00 Sephora

A good quality face primer is a step that even the most make-up obsessed person can sometimes forget. I have only been wearing a face primer for about a year now, simply because I thought they were a waste of money. I always believed that your foundation was essentially the ‘foundation’ of your make-up. When you build a house, the foundation is the first part you lay, then you build upwards. You don’t ‘prime’ the hole in the ground before laying the foundation. Therefore, I thought it was unnecessary. However, one day I was in Sephora trying to find something that would be able to keep my oily skin at bay and I was recommended the Make Up Forever Skin Equalizing Primer in Step 1. All I can say is that I was an idiot for not wearing primer sooner. This product is literally the best thing I have ever used. It is a highly concentrated primer, therefore you only apply it to the areas that get oily. I apply it on my T-Zone, chin and between my eyebrows; the rest of my face does not get oily throughout the day. It helps to even out my skin, which helps the foundation application that much easier. Yes, it is expensive, however if you only invest on one high-end beauty product, this would be it. This will help to keep your foundation matte and in place all day.

Revlon Colorstay Foundation (Combination/Oily Skin)~ $8.69 Target

I’ve tried many high-end foundations and spent way more than I’d like to admit, so it pleases both me (and my wallet!) to say that a drugstore foundation has won over the coveted spot in my make-up bag. The Revlon ColorStay foundation is lightweight, yet still allows for full coverage. Plus, it can be worn for 24 hours and still remain flawless looking. I believe the longest I’ve worn this foundation was 16 or so hours and I can attest to the fact that it does in fact look as good as when I put it on. You can purchase this foundation in a variety of drugstores nationwide, such as Duane Reade, CVS and Rite Aid.

Urban Decay De-Slick Mattifying Powder~ $32.00 Urban Decay

This powder has a dual purpose in my make-up regime. The first being that it helps to set your foundation, which helps to absorb the extra oil that your skin will naturally produce throughout the day. Also, I like to carry it with me just in case I feel the need to touch up my make-up, or if it is a particularly hot day and I feel that my face is beginning to look shiny from sweat. Once again, this powder is expensive, however, you do not need to purchase this exact $32.00 powder from Sephora in order to achieve the same results. I purchased this one because I like Urban Decay products and am a devout consumer of both their products and Benefits’. Any translucent powder will do just as good of a job as this one does. A thin sponge comes with this powder, however, when I apply this I like to use a fluffy brush. I think it allows for better coverage and allows me to blend in the product better than I would be able to only using the sponge.

From face wash to foundation, these products (when used in sequence) can help even the oiliest of skin remain fresh and matte all day. Also remember to look on the bright side if you have oily skin at a young age, it means you will age impeccably well, which is a huge plus! ;)

Senior at Marymount Manhattan College majoring in Psychology/Communication Arts with a minor in Business Management. Has a penchant for all things fashion-related, especially shoes. She has a shoe collection that rivals Carrie Bradshaw's and hopes to work in the field of Advertising upon graduating from MMC.