This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Freeform’s latest hits, The Bold Type should definitely be your next binge. Loosely based on the life of Joanna Coles, former Editor-in-Chief of Cosmopolitan, the show follows three women who work at the fictitious Scarlet Magazine. Viewers follow Jane, the up and coming writer trying to find her voice, Kat, the confident social media director who is not afraid to break the rules if it means doing what is right, and Sutton, the practical  personal assistant who struggles with her impractical dream to pursue a career in fashion. The show focuses on these ladies as they balance their work life, friendships, romantic interests and other struggles that those coming into their own often face. The Bold Type has just been renewed for a second season, and with all the episodes online, here’s why you must add this show to your to-be-watched list.

1. To fill the Pretty Little Liars Void

To be entirely honest, I began watching this show because I needed something to fill my Tuesday night television spot that, Pretty Little Liars has held for the past seven years. At risk of sounding over dramatic, when PLL ended, a part of me died as well. The decision to watch, The Bold Type in it’s place could not have been more coincidental, because there are striking similarities between the two shows. As someone who adored the friendship between the Liars, I promise that Jane, Kat and Sutton’s friendship will not disappoint. Although the stakes are far different in an office setting than in Rosewood, both groups of friends have each other’s backs and love each other unconditionally. Props to Freeform for introducing another show that centers around strong, female friendships.

Additionally, for fans like me who began their PLL journey in middle school, The Bold Type feels like the perfect show for this era in our lives. The Bold Type’s more mature setting is a welcome change as I, and many other fans, transition into college life. Spencer, Aria, Hanna, Emily and Alison gave me so much as I navigated through adolescence, and I feel like Jane, Kat and Sutton are here to help me through this next era of my life. Both shows center on the core idea of strong, female friendships, so although the situations are extremely different, the heart of PLL is easily recognized in The Bold Type.

2. Fashion

Any fashion lover knows that the clothing on a television show can make your viewing experience one thousand times more fun. The ladies of The Bold Type always dress to kill, and this makes each episode exciting. Their trendy work clothes destroy any existing stereotypes about office attire, and leave fans like myself wondering if you can actually get away with these ensembles in the real world? The glamorous events they attend are filled with stunning evening gowns and chic accessories, leaving us all fawning over their looks. If you are in need of  some wardrobe inspiration, look no further.

3. New York City

Scarlet Magazine is based in New York City, which adds to the fun of the show. While creating major, “Sex in the City” vibes, the location also gives the show a great canvas to play on. Each episode features stunning backdrops, from their morning runs in Central Park, to nights along the river. The energy of New York City works perfectly with these women’s characters. They are go-getters, who are engaged in their world and want to make their mark on it. To place them in any other setting would almost be dishonest to their characters. Since I live in NYC, the setting of the show just adds to its relatability. From cab fiascos to roads being blocked when Trump visits, it is fun to watch characters who are navigating similar situations.

4. Political Stance

Each episode focuses on relevant issues in our society today;  not shying away from things such as immigration and sexual assault. The cast boasts a diverse group of actors, and the show only embraces that. The show’s concept alone makes a statement, centering around three young women who take the world by storm. The characters use social media frequently to make statements, in keeping with the somewhat recent role of the Internet in politics. Overall, the show has it’s finger on all the hot topic issues in society, and addresses them with heart; bringing these issues a bit closer to home through the characters.

5. Romances Take the Back-burner

Most television shows, especially those aimed for teenaged girls, center around relationships. While there is certainly the romance drama on this show, the character’s worlds do not revolve around their relationships. The girl’s work issues and career ambitions always are the main priority, and their friendship does not center around relationship details. This is such a relief! The show certainly passes the Bechdel Test, which unfortunately, is still something remarkable. If fictitious relationships are your thing, the show is still full of them, but unlike others, the romances do not solely drive the plot.

6. Feminism is Not a Dirty Word

One of the greatest things about this show is that these women are not afraid to stand up for their opinions. Their existence as characters alone makes a statement, being powerful women in the workforce, at a successful company dominated by women. They often focus on the idea of what it means to be a woman, through different situations that arise at the firm. Scarlet is constantly viewed as being “fluffy” writing, focusing on unimportant issues. Jane struggles with this idea a lot, wanting to expand her repertoire as a writer but also wanting to stay true to her love of Scarlet. Jane, who grew up without a female leader in her life, turned to Scarlet as a sort of a big sister/friend. This idea truly demonstrates the power of these female oriented magazines, which are commonly misconstrued in society. The show puts to rest these ideas that overtly feminine things are weak or bubble gummy, in a society continues to chastise femininity.

7. Working as a Writer

As an aspiring journalist, getting a glimpse at this exciting world of magazines is really exciting. It isn’t often that a show centers around the exact thing that you would love to do, and I think that any female writer would be hooked on this show. Jane especially has been a wonderful character to look to, as I can definitely relate to her struggles of trying to find her voice, and challenging herself with topics that may be a bit out of her wheelhouse. It may be fiction, but it is still wonderful to get a little taste of what it’s like to work as a writer.

The ladies of The Bold Type are passionate, fearless, loyal and unafraid to, “unleash holy hell,” on anyone who tries to get in their way. I cannot wait to continue to live in this world for at least another season. All of the episodes are available on Freeform’s website , so what are you waiting for? Happy binging!

Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.