This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
October is breast cancer awareness month, and people recognize it in all different ways. Some participate in Race for the Cure, some collect pink Yogurt lids for Lids Save Lives and some dance. MizzouRec hosted its fifth annual Zumbathon Friday, Sept. 30, to raise breast cancer awareness and money for the Ellis Fischel Cancer Research Center in Columbia. Zumba instructions from the Rec and from the Columbia area busted out pink apparel and led the event. It was free with a suggested donation of $5.

The night started with a few low intensity routines, and participants eventually worked up to moderate intensity. After dancing for about an hour, participants got a break and tried their luck at two raffles. Anyone who made a donation was entered for a chance to win gift cards to Yogoluv, Flat Branch, The Heidelberg and other Columbia restaurants. In addition to gift cards, raffle prizes included pink visors, hats, cups and pins. Participants were also entered in a Victoria’s Secret raffle to win workout gear from the Pink line – neon panties, v-necks, full-length yoga pants, workout bags and sports bras. Any participant wearing pink got an additional chance to win the raffle. Once the break was over, the instructors led another hour of dancing, alternating between moderate and low intensity routines. The event brought mostly female students. A few boys attended and even sported some pink.

The Ellis Fischel Cancer center is looking to build a new facility in the future. The new center will include a healing garden for patients and their families to enjoy while at the hospital. In addition to the cost of the new building, the center will also be getting new equipment. Check out their website if you’re interested in donating.

Vanessa Meuir is senior majoring in magazine journalism and English. She was born in St. Louis, MO and raised in Columbia, MO where she now attends school. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus Mizzou, she works in Mizzou's athletics department and serves as a writing tutor for students on campus. She has gained most of her journalistic experience while writing and blogging for the Columbia Missourian, a local newspaper, and Vox magazine, a student-run campus magazine. She also gained some publishing experience while interning at The Missouri Review, a literary magazine. When Vanessa is not working or in class, she enjoys maintaining a personal blog that comments on reality television, spending time with her five roommates, reading and dabbling in amateur photography. Among her favorite things are diet coke, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Disney Channel and fuzzy socks.