This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
This week’s campus celeb is sophomore, Yumiko Gely!​ She is the president of Mizzou Global Brigade, the largest student-led health and sustainable development organization. Yumiko is from Cincinnati, Ohio, and is studying biology and health sciences.
Her Campus Mizzou: What is Mizzou Global Brigade?Yumkio Gely: Global Brigades is the world’s largest student-led global health and sustainable development organization. Each university runs their chapters differently, but internationally, universities from Canada, Europe and the United States send brigades through 10 different 7-9 day programs in Honduras, Panama, Ghana and Nicaragua. HCM: What made you get involved with Global Brigades?YG: My freshman year, I applied to go on one of the brigades and was luckily chosen to go on a medical and water brigade! I fell in love with Global Brigades, and decided to run to lead a hybrid medical/public health trip the following year to Nicaragua. HCM: What opportunities has Global Brigades given you? What’s your favorite part of being apart of it?
YG: Global Brigades has given me countless opportunities both domestically and internationally. I have met great, passionate people both in the States, and abroad that share the same values and goals as I do. I have gained great experience in serving internationally, effective global healthcare practices and how to create sustainable growth in developing countries. My favorite part would definitely be creating relationships with the communities in-country and seeing people become passionate about GB on Mizzou’s campus. HCM: How would a student looking to get involved with your organization do so?
YG: Visit our website to learn more about Mizzou GB, or contact us through our email: mizzouglobalbrigades@gmail.com 
HCM: Are you involved in any other organizations on campus?
YGI am also the Spring Activities Chair of Kappa Alpha Theta, as well as I was a site leader for an international Mizzou Alternative Break trip to the Dominican Republic!
Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.