What You Need To Know For Sexual Assault Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month and, as college students, the issue of sexual assault is very prevalent. It seems like each week, a new scandal involving sexual assault on college campuses becomes a national headline. 

The common statistic echoed in debates about sexual assault is that one in five women in college have experienced it. The Washington Post has challenged this number by saying it is likely closer to one in seven, which is still unacceptably high. 

Additionally, it is important to remember that most statistics about sexual assault are based on sexual assault cases that are actually reported, meaning that there could be unreported cases that go unaccounted for when sexual assault statistics are released.

No matter what the number is, it should be clear that sexual assault is not okay in any way, shape or form and should not be tolerated. Even if many students have this understanding, it’s essential to acknowledge that sexual assault is a problem on college campuses and, unfortunately, this includes MU.

It’s important to know that at MU and Columbia, there are resources available for survivors of sexual assault or people who are concerned that someone that they know may be experiencing sexual assault.

Most MU employees are “mandated reporters,” which means that, unless they fall in to a few specific categories, they’re obligated to report any sort of sexual harassment they become aware of to the Title IX office, according to the Title IX Office’s Mandated Reporter policy

Rape counselors, healthcare providers, counselors and lawyers are not required to report sexual harassment incidents due to confidentiality needs of survivors. The Title IX office can potentially help survivors take legal action when sexual assault and harassment incidents are reported to mandated reporters.

The Relationship & Sexual Violence Prevention Center and True North of Columbia both have confidential resources for survivors of sexual assault. More information about these organizations can be found on their websites and in their offices. The RSVP Center is located in the lower level of the student center. True North’s location can be given upon request (for the safety of people who may be using their services).

As college women, it’s important to be aware of these resources and the obligations of the people that students essentially employ with their tuition money, not just for themselves, but for their friends as well. When women support each other and are educated about issues like sexual assault, it becomes easier for survivors to find resources and overcome problems that may arise with this terrible trend on college campuses.

A discussion on sexual assault awareness can address preventative measures that people can take (although this can be problematic because it can lead to victim blaming), as well as resources for dealing with the aftermath of sexual assault, but this discussion also must include one major component of sexual assault: the attackers. There is no sure fire way to be confidant that perpetrators of sexual assault will stop their actions. However, if people keep the dialogue about sexual assault alive and make it a cultural norm that any form of sexual assault or harassment is unacceptable, maybe there will be a shift towards a world in which sexual assault does not have to be a common fear.

I am a Journalism major at The University of Missouri. Although I am a freshman, I am already loving college life here in Columbia. In addition to being involved with HerCampus, I also work with MUTV, the student television station at Mizzou.
Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.