photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Thanksgiving Sans the Turkey: A Vegan’s Look at the Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Many of us don’t think twice about piling mounds of turkey or ham, smothered in gravy, for our Thanksgiving meals. However, many do. Her Campus Mizzou sat down with Claire Nichols, a sophomore at Mizzou and a dedicated vegan, to discuss what Thanksgiving looks like for her.

Her Campus Mizzou: What made you want to go vegan?

Claire Nichols: I originally went vegan for health reasons. I had been dealing with some digestion issues and was curious to see whether cutting dairy would help or not. Cutting out meat wasn’t a huge deal for me as I didn’t eat much of it anyway! As I began experimenting with this new lifestyle, I did a TON of research. I wanted to be sure that it was going to be sustainable, and that I wouldn’t become deficient in any nutrients. This is a common fear for many new vegans because the meat and dairy industries have told us the lie our entire lives that we need animal products to be healthy. In addition, I also learned of the ethical implications of becoming vegan. I would no longer be responsible for the needless suffering of animals. I hadn’t connected my plate to my conscience, but once I did, it all came together for me.

HCM: How long have you been vegan? Have you ever “broken the rules?”

CN: I went vegan the spring of my senior year of high school, so I’m coming up on two years pretty soon. I seriously have never felt better. There have been slip up moments where a salad dressing has contained dairy, or there is a trace of egg in something. I’d say I’m pretty strict in following a vegan diet because when you are pursuing it in a healthy way, you completely lose ‘cravings’ for animal products. To be honest, it totally grosses me out now.

HCM: What were your initial worries about becoming vegan / did you have any? How do you feel about those now?

CN: Like I mentioned earlier, I was worried that removing animal products would lead to a nutrient deficiency. However, through extensive research, I learned that plants provide every nutrient that your body needs. Think about it: one of the strongest animals in the world is vegan, gorillas. What do gorillas eat ALL day long? Lots of veggies! I’ve never seen a protein deficient gorilla, have you?

HCM: Walk us through what you’ll eat for Thanksgiving dinner. Will your family accommodate? Are any of your family members vegan as well?

CN: Eating vegan Thanksgiving and other holiday meals is not as intimidating as you may think. Sure, the meals mostly center around a meat entrée, but most of the sides are vegan or can easily be made vegan: mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, even pumpkin pie can be made vegan. I am blessed to have a family that respects and lovingly accommodates my choices, though I realize that is not the situation for everyone. My best advice would be to ask whoever is preparing the meal what they will be making in advance. Another foolproof and “under-the-radar” way to have a vegan meal is to offer to bring a side or two. This way, you know exactly what is in it and you don’t have to feel awkward asking.

HCM: What other kinds of adjustments (besides Thanksgiving) do you face during holidays?

CN: Honestly, my family is really accepting so they make adjustments for me! I also love cooking so I often make and bring things as well. Making things vegan is often as simple as adjusting one or two ingredients, so it’s really not hard! I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t believe that I was making an impact or it wasn’t worth it!

HCM: How do you feel being vegan has changed your perspective on food?

CN: Going vegan has completely changed my perspective on food. I honestly don’t see animal products as food anymore. I see them as suffering, lives lost, and just unhealthy in general. Going vegan has physically made me feel my best. I have more energy than I did while eating meat and dairy. My mind and conscience are also clearer. When you take in animal products, you are also taking in vast amounts of hormones, including cortisol, which is a stress hormone, often released in moments of fear or anxiety. Going vegan was one of the best decisions I have ever made, and I highly recommend giving it a go. All it takes is a little effort to shift your habits. Then from there, it’s pretty simple. Peace starts on your plate.

Hi :) My name is Lizzy Joslyn, and I'm a sophomore studying journalism at Mizzou.