Should We Have Left Twitter in 2016?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It may be time to jump ship from Twitter. It’s quickly becoming Facebook, and I don’t know where to go now. Scrolling down the timeline is like reliving every human rights violation ever committed. I mean, it’s the same in real life, but Twitter used to be my escape! #FirstWorldProblems, right? By the way, that hashtag is on the verge of a whole new meaning. 

However, to be totally honest with myself, I won’t be done with Twitter until I reach Mariah status and disappear on everyone. 

Until then, here are four ways I keep from setting my phone on fire:

1. The other people on your Twitter feed definitely already checked that fool for you. Find comfort in knowing you’re not the only one who cares instead of jumping on the bandwagon. Sit this one out.

2. Tune out! Humans aren’t built for constant negativity. There’s no need to stay informed 24/7. It only keeps you angry and sitting in your room fuming at the ears.  Honestly, what good are you in that state? You need to be alone with your own thoughts for reflection and revitalization. Choose what emotions are your own. Hint: They’re not the ones you picked up from hateful tweets! 

3. Treat yo’ self! All that pent up anger has to go somewhere. Acknowledge exactly what you’re angry about. Process it and transmute the anger. Get creative! Start your own campaign. Join one that already exists! Hang out with a group of people you find inspiring. Don’t wallow in a shadow. Get out and find the light!

4. Ignorance is bliss. Hate tweets are solely a reflection of that person just like everyone’s opinions are. They’re emotionally driven and born from insecurity. Think about it. How insecure do you have to be with your capabilities to blame a migrant for “stealing your job”? Tweeting those things makes them feel better about themselves, and they feel even more important when we reply to them. Just don’t do it.

Repeat this affirmation from Mariah for added magic, and tell me how it goes!

HC Contributer Mizzou