This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

This week, Her Campus Mizzou talked to Sandy Patel, a junior at MU who serves as the Secretary of Auxiliaries for MSA. She is also a political science and communications major who aspires to work in Washington D.C. Read more to learn about Sandy’s position on MSA, her enlightening trip with Mizzou Alternative Breaks, and other memorable experiences at MU.

Her Campus Mizzou: So what is your position on MSA and what duties does it involve?

Sandy Patel: I serve as the Secretary of Auxiliaries for MSA. My position entails overseeing 12 auxiliaries or student services that fall under MSA; that of which includes Tiger Pantry, Stripes, Student Legal Services, Craft Studio and many others. I am involved in managing any fiscal, developmental and fundraising aspects for those auxiliaries.

HCM: Why do you think its an important position for MSA?

SP: It’s an important position in MSA because there is not much communication, transparency and liaising happening without it. These auxiliaries can utilize my position for additional resources through other aspects of MSA. This position helps with all budgetary matters as well which is crucial when it comes to operating under a $1.7 million dollar budget. 

HCM: What have been some of your best experiences with MSA?

SP: My best experiences in MSA have been spending many late nights or weekends working with advisors and other student leaders in MSA. My favorite memory is Family Reunion where all parts of MSA (over 500 members) get together and see how each part, service and department make a difference on campus. It’s fun to meet other people and collaborate all of the good things we do.

HCM: You recently participated in Mizzou Alternative Breaks. What was that experience like?

SP: Mizzou Alternative Breaks program is an incredible experience. I went to San Antonio, Texas to work at Children’s Shelter and Children’s Shelter Thrift Shop. It was absolutely incredible. Working with the kids and all of the workers have taught us so many things about life and serving. Everyday was filled with so much with the greatest people I have ever met. 

HCM: What else are you involved with on campus?

SP: I am involved in Pi Sigma Alpha and I also work with the Office of Service Learning to do work on legislative issues through internships at the State Capitol and in Washington D.C.

HCM: What has been your best Mizzou memory so far?

SP: My favorite Mizzou memory was the SEC Exchange Conference in January. This conference is where all of the student governments in the SEC come to Mizzou to exchange ideas and how to help better our campuses. Since Mizzou is new to the SEC, it was amazing to see all of them impressed by our campus, our services and Mizzou in general. It was also fun taking them out to have some fun in Columbia.

HCM: What is your favorite spot in Columbia?

SP: My favorite spot in Columbia is Stephens Lake Park. It’s beautiful, open and wonderful to go hang out with friends with ice cream. 

HCM: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

SP: In ten years, I hope to live in D.C. working on education reform through nonprofit organizations. 

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.
HC Contributer Mizzou