R.A.M.S. (Rockin' Against Multiple Sclerosis) is a special Mizzou event that kicks off in February each year. Through a series of fundraisers and competitions, students and members of the community raise money to benefit those diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, a common disease that effects the central nervous system. Last year, R.A.M.S. raised over $75,000 to assist those with MS, and since the event began in 1993 over $600,000 has been raised. Check out the schedule of events to see what you can do to pitch in!
When: Saturday, Feb. 10
Service Day is a great opportunity for organizations to give back to the community in a way other than just raising money and awareness for the organization. These members will be assigned to the homes of local MS patients and will do various activities, such as raking leaves, cleaning, painting houses and organizing offices.
When: Monday, Feb. 13
Head to Jesse Auditorium to hear stories from people living with MS. You’ll also have a chance to ask any questions you might have.
Jail N’ Bail
When: Tuesday, Feb. 14, and Wednesday, Feb. 15
One member of a campus organization is put in “jail” in the Student Center for one hour. At the same time, another member asks around campus for money to “bail” their friend out of jail. Once $20 is raised, the individual in jail is released. Jail-N-Bail is a great way to raise money and awareness about Multiple Sclerosis.
When: Saturday, Feb. 18
Cup Night is a fantastic way for the entire community to get involved in R.A.M.S. A variety of bars and restaurants offer meal discounts, drink specials and free cover charges on this Saturday night to those who have purchased a cup. Cups can be purchased from members of the steering committee for $10. Specials include:
- Campus Bar & Grill: Free cover, $2 domestic pitchers, $3 double wells (9 p.m. to close)
- Willie’s/Field House: Free cover, $2 domestic bottles, $4 double wells (9 p.m. to close)
- Stadium Bar and Grill: ½ price appetizers, happy hour specials all day and night
- Shiloh: Free cover, $1 domestic bottles, $2 shots (9 p.m. to close)
- Harpo's: Free cover, $1 wells, $3 double wells
- Quinton’s: Free cover, $3 double wells, $4 Smirnoff/Bacardi double wells (9 p.m. to close)
- Tonic: Free cover, $3 double wells, $4 Smirnoff/Bacardi double wells (9 pm. to close)
- Penguin Dueling Piano Bar: Free cover, $1 PBR, $1.50 Tequila shots, $4 double wells (9 p.m. to close)
- Déjà Vu: Free nightclub admission to those 21 years old and up, $5 cover for 18 to 20-year-olds, 50 percent off everything
- Bengals: Free cover, $2.50 Long Islands, $1.50 bottles (9 p.m. to close)
- Boone Tavern: ½ price appetizers, happy hour specials all day and night
- Galactic Fun Zone: $2 draft in R.A.M.S. cup, $3 double wells, $3 bowling, $3 laser tag (all day)
- Britches: Storewide 20 percent off (all day)
- Gumby's: 20 percent off all food purchases (all day)
- Noodles & Co.: Free small macaroni and cheese bowl (4 p.m. to close)
- Hot Box Cookies: $2.50 off 12 cookies (all day)
- La Siesta: On the rocks margaritas, draft Miller and Bud Light for $1.49
When: Prelims Tuesday, Feb. 21 and Wednesday, Feb. 22; Finals Friday, Feb. 24
One of the most anticipated R.A.M.S. events, Rock It is a lip-sync competition among participating organizations. The organizations choreograph skits/dances to accompany their songs. Organizations can also compete in in-between acts (IBAs), which range from songs to comedy acts.