This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Meet our (busy!) campus celeb, Rachel Schisler. She’s a sophomore journalism major with an emphasis in broadcast. Rachel is also a member of the Honors College, Kappa Alpha Theta, Cru, StuMo, and a multi-media intern for Residential Life.

Her Campus Mizzou: What made you want to be in Broadcast Journalism?

Rachel Schisler: At first I didn’t want to be in journalism because I felt that all of the news was negative. What warmed me up to journalism was competing for Student Television Network (STN). They have big ceremonies at the beginning and end of the conventions and you can send in your application. The application is an online video audition. You are selected to be an opening or ending presenter. I was selected to be a closing presenter for the closing ceremony, and when I went onstage, in front of thousands of people from all over the country, I remember looking out into the crowd and thinking this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

HCM: Why is broadcast journalism important to you?

RS: There are so many ways to answer that. I think I’m starting to see different aspects to how journalism is so important. You are a voice for people who don’t necessarily have a voice to be heard, you’re truth bearers, you’re the watchdog for the public, but you definitely have a big responsibility as a journalist with your words and how you choose to portray things and events and people’s stories. There are so many different reasons why journalism is important.

HCM: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

RS: I am more interested in the entertainment side of journalism, so I would love to be a national talk show host for “Good Morning America.”

HCM: What was it like to film the Tiger Walk?

RS: It’s fun to think about how a year ago I was actually participating in the Tiger Walk. One of my goals was to really dive head first into broadcasting. My sisters in Theta helped me find the Residential Life internship, which is what allowed me to film the Tiger Walk.

HCM: What did you do this summer?

RS: In high school I competed with Student Television Network (STN) which is a national organization and kids all over the country can compete. My broadcasting class was a part of it and my senior year I entered into the competition for student journalist of the year and placed runner-up and earned an internship. The internship took me to Orlando last spring break and after that they asked me to come and work at their summer camps in LA and San Diego. I had so much fun traveling for something I love to do.

HCM: What is your favorite Mizzou memory?

RS: When my sorority, Theta, won homecoming my freshman year. It was really fun putting in the hard work with your sisters and seeing the results! ​