“Queer Eye”: Reasons Why You Should Watch If You Haven’t Already

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Whether you’ve binge-watched it already or not, Netflix’s “Queer Eye” is all over social media. The show and its coaches have taken the world by storm, and it’s all anyone is talking about. The show follows the Fab Five’s journey into the lives of men who need some help revamping their wardrobe, diet, house, appearance, and relationships. If you haven’t seen “Queer Eye” already, here’s a quick look at the moments that left us laughing, crying and yelling, “can you believe?!”

Episode One: “You Can’t Fix Ugly”

Source: Refinery29

The first episode of “Queer Eye” has all of the reasons why you should watch the show. It has funny moments, meaningful conversations and an end result that leaves everyone with tears. The first man to get a makeover on the show is Tom, a humble man from Georgia that believes the Fab Five “can’t fix ugly.” By the end of the episode, Tom was a transformed man; he even gained the courage to rekindle his relationship with his ex-wife. The two are now set to remarry, and Tom wants the Fab Five to come to the wedding. If you want to see the effect this show has on people’s lives, this episode is the one to watch.

Karamo and Cory’s Conversation About Police Brutality

Source: Collider

One of the more powerful scenes in the show is in episode three, “Dega Don’t.” The Fab Five is assigned Cory for their next makeover, who is a police officer in Georgia. When Karamo and Cory are alone in a car, Karamo admits that he was nervous about meeting a cop. They both engage in conversation about the tension between cops and black communities in America. This scene is important in so many ways, but most of all it shows hope.

“I’m not saying a conversation with one police officer and one gay guy is gonna solve the problems,” said Karamo, “but maybe it can open up eyes to something more.”

Anything Jonathan Says

Jonathan, the grooming coach of the Fab Five, is one of the more well-known of the group. This could be because of his gorgeous locks and bubbly personality, but his memorable sayings make everyone love him more with each episode. Here’s a quick list of quotes that are sure to inspire and bring you joy:

“It’s okay to have a relationship with yourself”

“You can’t have a connection, joy and happiness without vulnerability”

“Did I get chased around with pitchforks? Absolutely. Did it make me a really hard worker? For sure.”

“Fiercedom, honey”

A.J. Coming Out

Source: ew.com

Finally, one of the most important scenes from the show is from episode four, “To Gay Or Not Too Gay.” Along with his new wardrobe, home renovations and a new look, he gained a new sense of confidence. At the conclusion of the episode, A.J. comes out to his stepmom by reading a letter he wrote to his late father about being gay. This scene is arguably the most emotional in the whole season, but it was certainly a happy ending to the episode.

Now that you have more reasons to watch “Queer Eye,” what are you waiting for?

Social Media Director • Mizzou Her Campus chapter Journalism - Magazine Design • Art & History minor • University of Missouri - Columbia