Planned Parenthood Receives Backlash for Controversial Tweet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Disney princesses are a part of childhood that people encounter and remember for years. Children across the globe view princesses as their heroes and look up to them. But recently Planned Parenthood called for a Disney princess that would not be supported by many.

Planned Parenthood in Keystone, Pennsylvania has received backlash after tweeting that Disney needs to have a princess who is pro-choice and has had an abortion. The tweet was quickly taken down, but Chet Cannon screenshotted the tweet and posted it himself for the world to see.

Even though the tweet was removed within a few hours after it was posted, the public still responded with heated opinions.

Donald Trump Jr. also had a few words to say about the matter.

On the same day, an article from Jezebel discussing the probability that a Disney princess had had an abortion was published. It defended the tweet from Planned Parenthood, saying that it was very probable that one of the Disney princesses would have had an abortion.

But people weren’t upset because the statistics of the tweet could be considered correct. They were upset because Disney princesses are for young children, and these controversial issues are not what they want their children to have to view at an early age. Whether you are pro-choice or pro-life, having an abortion is not something that you look forward to or aspire to do later on in life. It is not a topic that parents want their children to see while watching Disney movies at the age of 5 or 6.

Source

Disney princesses allow children to hold onto their innocence in life for a little longer before they are bombarded with social and political issues. A Disney princess is one thing that they can count on to bring joy and aspirations in a world full of doubt and pain. If that security is taken away from even Disney movies, then the society that our children grow up in will promote them to make decisions about these sort of topics before they can even fully understand them.

Studying to be a journalist at the University of Missouri in Columbia. Senior Editor and Writer at Her Campus Mizzou.
HC Contributer Mizzou