Now Hiring: 10 Tips for Landing Your Dream Job or Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Applying for a job or internship can be a daunting task. You know you’re the perfect candidate, but how do future employers know that? Have no fear. Her Campus Mizzou is here to help! Whether you’re graduating in slightly less than two months (commence panic mode…) or thinking about a summer internship, we’ve compiled a “to-do” list every collegiette™ needs before applying for that big job or perfect internship.

1. Look for the internship or job.

While this might sound obvious, it’s often hard to find out where to start your search. Nowadays the Internet is a good place to start because most, if not all, companies post job openings online. Be sure to check out some of my favorite sites: Intern Queen and Free Fashion Internships. Both have internships in a variety of different fields. I found my first internship through Free Fashion Internships. While the Internet is great, don’t underestimate the power of asking around. Talk to school advisers, other students and alumni you know. Using connections is key. Don’t be afraid to just ask!

2. So, you found the perfect job or internship – now apply.
You won’t possibly get a job unless you apply. Don’t be intimidated by fancy companies and addresses with New York, NY. You have just as much a shot at landing the job as anyone else. But before you apply, make sure you’ve read the position description fully. You need to know what’s expected of you and what the application requires.

3. Find references (just in case).
It’s a good idea to give anyone you plan on using as a reference a heads up. Aim for at least two weeks for written references. If you don’t need a written reference, ask your potential referrals if you can give their phone numbers or e-mail addresses to potential employers. Trust me, they’ll appreciate the heads up, and it’ll give them plenty of time to think of wonderful things to tell employers. Just remember, friends and parents don’t count as references; stick to past bosses, advisers and professors.

4. Update your resumé and cover letter.
I’ve found it’s really important to tailor your resume to the job or internship you’re applying for. If the position requires you to know a lot about certain software such as Photoshop or InDesign, be sure to mention if you’ve had experience with these programs. You’ll be surprised at how much you’ve learned in school can be put on your resume. Who knew that project freshman year would be so valuable? Bottom line: Let employers know that you know your stuff!

5. Research the company.
This is extremely important. Before my internship at a jewelry designer this past summer, I went over the company’s website countless times. I became familiar with their products and tried to memorize everything I could. If you want them to believe you belong, act like you already work there. This doesn’t mean you have to be a show off. Just become familiar with the company.

6. Prepare for questions, and come up with questions yourself.
We all know to be prepared for interview questions, but it’s equally important to come up with questions yourself. At a recent interview, I made a point to ask my own questions. Ask when they’ll make their decision, what’s a typical work day, etc. Asking questions is a good way to show employers how eager and passionate you are. Need proof this works? I asked questions during my interview a few weeks ago, and guess what? I got it!

7. Dress for success.
Here’s the fun part: clothes! Every collegiette™ likes to dress up and play around with her wardrobe, but planning your outfit can be just as important as your resumé. Employers want someone who can represent their company well. If you are applying for a financial internship at a big business firm, you’d dress very differently than if you were applying for a photography internship at an artsy magazine. However, in both cases you want to dress professionally. Here’s a site that already put the outfits together for you. What can be easier than that?

8. Master the telephone and Skype interview.
Depending on how far away your future job is, you might not be able to fly out for a face-to-face interview. Prepare yourself for a good phone conversation. Practice your phone voice by speaking clearly and a little louder than you might normally, but don’t yell! For phone interviews, choose a quiet place with no interruptions. Also, spotty cell coverage is a big no-no. If you drop the company’s call, the employers might just drop you. Finally, set up a Skype account, and learn how to use it well. You probably already have one, but if you don’t, create one today. Employers really value seeing your face, and Skype is becoming increasingly popular for interviews. Don’t wait until the day of your interview to figure out how to make a call or click the video button. You want to be an old pro when they call you!

9. Be yourself.
You’re a smart, confident woman, and there is no reason they shouldn’t love you. If there’s one thing I learned at my dream internship last summer, it’s to be genuine. People can sense sincerity just as much as they can sense insincerity. Remember that these are the people you could be working with, so have fun and make friends. Make jokes (appropriate ones, of course), and have a pleasant demeanor. Never underestimate the power of a good smile.

10. Don’t stop now.
My last tip for you is probably the most important. Apply for as many jobs or internships as you can. Last February I sat down one day and sent out 20 resumes in one day. One day! After all that, I heard back from one company. While that doesn’t sound like good odds, it’s quite typical. But I wouldn’t have heard back at all if I hadn’t applied. Turns out the internship I got was perfect for me. Trust me, the more you put yourself out there, the better the chances you’ll have at landing that perfect job!

Be sure to check out these national Her Campus articles on internships and resumés!
http://www.hercampus.com/career/how-make-your-internship-sound-best-your-resume
http://www.hercampus.com/internships

I am a University of Missouri student, majoring in photojournalism, minoring in Textile and Apparel Management and Business. I love fashion and magazines and hope to someday pursue my dream of living in New York City working in the fashion industry.