No Travel? No Problem! How To Enjoy Your Staycation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Your roommate is going on a tropical cruise. Your sorority sisters are headed to Cancun. Your cousins are island-hopping in Greece. You, however, are stuck at home. This might sound like a collegiette’s worst nightmare but fear not! Here are some tips for having the perfect staycation.

1. Relax

Remember all those times throughout the semester you complained about being too busy and never getting enough sleep? Well here’s your chance to finally catch up on your beauty rest. Take a lazy day and sleep until noon! It’s not like you’ll miss your 8 a.m. Take your lazy day (or two) to the next level and give yourself a mani-pedi and homemade face mask. Then read a book for fun or work on that tan in your backyard. Doing nothing doesn’t have to be boring.

2. Work Out

The stress of exams, papers and clubs probably hasn’t done much for your New Year’s resolutions. Remember those? Test out some Pinterest workouts with your new free time and spend spring break getting back into shape. Take a Zumba or yoga class, go running, and do anything and everything you claimed you didn’t have time for during the semester. Summer is just around the corner, you know.

3. Find a Job/Internship

Plan ahead and look for summer jobs and internships. Schedule interviews during break or work on your résumé and applications. Brag to all your friends when they come back with a sunburn and you with the internship of your dreams. If you’ve already got a job, schedule more hours for the week and earn cash rather then spend it all on a trip.

4. Catch Up with Old Friends

If your friends at other schools happen to have the same spring break as you, then spend your staycation together! Revisit all your favorite high school hangouts and catch up on each other’s lives. If they’re not off when you are, visit them at their colleges and see what their campuses are like. Even with Facebook, it can be hard to keep up with old friends during the year, so use this time to work on any fading relationships.

5. Tour Your Own Town

Play tourist for the day and try out something you’ve never done before at home. Go to a museum or park you’ve considered too “tourist-y.” Try a new restaurant with your family or high school friends. Look up any concerts or shows that might be coming to your hometown. Or just make a day of it and explore downtown! Who knows? Maybe you’ll discover your new favorite place.

Photo Sources:
maxagency.com
freshandagelessblog.com
collegetocareers.com
alegriphotos.com

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!