Nicole Silvestri, Vagina Monologues Participant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Nicole Silvestri, senior, is set to participate in her fourth and final production of MU’s 12th Annual Vagina Monologues this February. Nicole is a double major in Women’s and Gender Studies and International Studies. She is also part of the Women’s Center staff, president of the Feminist Student Union and a member of the national honor fraternity Phi Sigma Pi. Her Campus Mizzou sat down with Nicole to discuss her expert knowledge of the upcoming show.

Her Campus Mizzou: What is The Vagina Monologues

Nicole Silvestri: The Vagina Monologues is a play compiled of real women’s stories by Eve Ensler. The monologues cover a wide range of topics from birth, to sex, to menstruation, to female genital mutilation, etc. The most amazing part about the play is that these are true, unique experiences from women around the world. It will make you laugh, cry and eager to bring an end to violence against women.

HCM: How, when and why did you get involved with it?

NS: When I was 15, my sister was a senior at Mizzou and decided to bring me to see The Vagina Monologues because she knew I was exploring ideas of feminism. After I saw it, my life was changed completely. I knew I wanted to be a part of the movement as soon as I entered college. I have been in The Vagina Monologues every year since 2010.

HCM: Explain V-Day (and its tie to the Monologues). 

NS: V-Day is the movement dedicated to bringing an end to violence against women around the world. The Vagina Monologues is put on all over the globe, and all of the proceeds are meant to benefit domestic violence shelters and rape crisis centers.

HCM: Why is spreading a message of anti-violence important to you? 

NS: Unfortunately, many people do not realize the prevalence of violence against women. The statistics are horrifying. One in four women will experience sexual violence in their lifetime. This is a serious epidemic all over the world. Performing in The Vagina Monologues allows me to spread the word in a fun, enlightening and thought-provoking manner.

HCM: How many people work to put the Monologues together? 

NS: The cast of the Monologues consists of around 100 amazing women. In addition to the cast, we have both Suzy Day (Her Campus Mizzou’s advisor!!) and Struby Struble guiding us through the preparations and allowing us to put on such a great show.

HCM: How can one get involved in The Vagina Monologues

NS: Auditions were in the fall; however, we are always in need of ushers at the actual event. You may e-mail vaginamonologues@missouri.edu to ask about that. We are also always accepting donations. Simply spreading the word and bringing friends to the event is involvement!

Editor’s Note: For information on volunteering/donating to The Vagina Monologues, please visit: www.vaginamonologues.missouri.edu

HCM: What do you hope the audience will take away from the show?

NS: I hope the audience is just as touched as I was when I first saw the performance. I want them to feel moved and committed to ending the violence.

This year’s performance is on Saturday, February 16th at 7 p.m. in Jesse Auditorium. Tickets are on sale now for $12 at the MSA/GPC Box Office located in the Student Center, ticketmaster.com or $15 at the door.

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.