This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Senior Morgan Sloan is a biomedical engineer major with a wide variety of interests. She wasted no time getting involved on the MU campus and joined Center Stage, Engineering World Health club, Mizzou Alternative Breaks and a much more, which completely shaped her experience on campus!

Her Campus Mizzou: I know you’re an active member in Center Stage. What is Center Stage and what is your main role? 

Morgan Sloan: Center Stage is a Mizzou, student-run organization, providing children, in grades kindergarten through fifth, with free dance lessons. Center Stage volunteers teach ballet, hip hop, jazz and poms classes. The goal of Center Stage is to help create a link with the Columbia community through teaching dance classes to those students who cannot otherwise afford classes, and giving both MU students and the children a forum for dance expression. This is my second year being president of Center Stage; I have also been a Center Stage teacher for three years.

HCM: What other clubs are you involved with on campus?

MS: Besides Center Stage, I am an active member in Engineering World Health club, Alpha Omega Epsilon, which is a professional engineering sorority, Mizzou Alternative Breaks, Institute of Biological Engineering (IBE) and Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES).

HCM: What sparked your interest in the clubs you are in, especially Center Stage?

MS: I knew I wanted to get involved as soon as I got to Mizzou. I tried to get involved in different areas of my interests so that I would have academic organizations and well as fun organizations. I have danced my entire life but didn’t have time to be involved in a competitive team or organization, so Center Stage seemed to be the perfect way to continue my dancing while also giving back to the community.  

HCM: What is the most fun experience you have had at Center Stage?

MS: Our end of semester recitals at Jesse Hall are by far the most fun we have! Dancers and teachers preform for parents and guests. We also provide dancers with costumes and props for their dances. It’s so amazing to see the kids light up on stage as they perform for their parents.

HCM: Why do you think Center Stage is so important for MU?

MS: Center Stage provides an outlet for kids to express their emotions and release all their extra energy. While not all families can afford to allow their children to take classes at a dance studio, Center Stage allows these children in Columbia to still learn to dance!

HCM: How can readers get involved with the club or where can they find more information?

MS: Anyone interested in becoming a Center Stage volunteer teacher can email us for more information at MizzouCenterStage@gmail.com or look for us on Orgsync. We have a website and Facebook page they can visit too!

HCM: What has been the most important thing you have gained from being involved at MU?

MS: Being involved at Mizzou has really made my college experience amazing. I have met so many great friends and learned important life skills though these organizations. I feel that I have especially grown professionally through all my leadership experiences, which has helped me in my academics and career search. My biggest recommendation to anyone in college is to get involved. It will totally change your experience!

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.