This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

While all of us prepare for Spring Break by eating “healthier” and working out “more,” senior Madeline Brozka’s preparations are quite different. The Spanish and Health Science major from Eureka, Missouri is the director for Mizzou Alternative Breaks. Read on to find out the different ways she allows others to give back while soaking up the sun!

Her Campus Mizzou: What all encompasses Mizzou Alternative Breaks?

Madeline Brozka: MAB is a student-led program that sends students on service trips during all academic breaks to different regions of the United States and internationally. 

HCM: How were you selected as director?

MB: I was selected as director through an interview process after site leading trips for two years. 

HCM: What are your responsibilities as director?

MB: My main responsibility as the Director of Spring Service is to oversee the spring program. Along with the other members of the spring board, I lead and facilitate site leader meetings. I also am the first line of contact for trips while they are out during break.

HCM: What are you most excited for with this title?

MB: I’m most excited for the facilitation of all of the Spring Break trips! I can’t wait for all of the amazing experiences that are going to be had on any of the 60 trips that will be going out this upcoming spring break.

HCM: What is your favorite MAB trip you have taken?

MB: Since my freshman year, I have been on six MAB trips. It’s hard to pick a favorite because they’re all so different. A trip that sticks out to me is my trip freshman year to Columbia, South Carolina. It was a health and Spanish focused trip that led me to change my major because I had the opportunity to see how passionate I was about the two issues. This trip was really the part of my freshman year that made me certain that I made the right decision in choosing Mizzou. 

HCM: What is your favorite thing about MAB?

MB: My favorite thing about MAB is the ability for these trips to change a person’s perspective. The service opens people’s eyes up to new social issues that they were never aware of before. The trips also connect students from all over campus. There’s something kind of magical about the friendships that form when you throw twelve random strangers in a van and send them halfway across the country.  

HCM: What can other students do to get involved with MAB?

MB: Other students can apply to go on trips! Applications for our summer domestic and international trips are open from now until February 28. 

HCM: What other organizations are you involved in on campus?

MB: I am also a member of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity.

Schedule

HC Contributer Mizzou