A Letter to Those Who Say “#MeToo”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The truth of this movement is harrowing. The reality of the tens of thousands of fearfully kept secrets that have, at last, emerged.

Rape, according to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, is the most under-reported crime, and 63% of sexual assault cases remain unreported as well.

Please allow the following words to embrace you if you are a victim and mobilize you if you are an observer, as I am. As a salute to confessors and victims who remain in secrecy, I write:

A Letter to Those Who Say, “ #MeToo”

To each and every individual with a part in the #metoo movement, whether your story has emerged from the brutal light of a screen or remains in the hidden darkness:

For those of you who have stepped forward, I, like many others, remain largely speechless at the courage you have channeled. While it is unimaginable for some and highly relatable for others, we stand with you. We offer you a constant net of love as you fight to tell your story again and again. Please take heart in the strength you have had thus far, and know that there is still so much beauty in this world — you are a perfect example. No matter your place of residence, you have a home in each and every individual at HerCampus Mizzou.

For those of you whose story sits, folded and creased in a pocket or desk drawer, have faith. Your story, your words and your experiences matter. No case is more important, more paramount, more impactful. Each has equal weight yet unique shape. Live with the knowledge that it will always amount to “worth” and “impact” on the scale.

I urge you to unfold your paper when you feel that it is right to do so. Display as you see necessary and follow what you feel: some story-owners prefer the blue glint of the screen, others would rather stick to the natural light reflecting from a single other human’s eyes. No matter the case, do not let it burn forever, hidden. Your story is powerful, but you have the strength to channel its power in a way that will allow to you fly. There are too many people on this Earth who believe in your true worth, too many people who live to see you flourish and live joyously.

To each and every one of you: you are inspiring.

And with that, I say,

The world is #Hereforyou.

Love,

HerCampus Mizzou

Hi :) My name is Lizzy Joslyn, and I'm a sophomore studying journalism at Mizzou.
HC Contributer Mizzou