How to Have a Summer Vacation While in Summer School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Let me guess. When you signed up for your summer class, you were all like, “I’m such a responsible adult! My summer will be filled with knowledge and learning!” For some of us, that energetic enthusiasm to learn while on break is still alive and well. For others, it’s sinking in that this summer won’t quite as relaxing as summers before. But worry not! You can still have a summer vacation while staying in CoMo to take that dreaded class, and we’re here to tell you how.

1. Head to the Water

Columbia, Missouri is no where near a beach, but it has plenty of pools. Get some sun by laying out near the pool and relieve some stress from your studying. In fact, you can enjoy homework outside and get stuff done on your own time.

2. Make Some $$

If you’re in Columbia and have a summer job, use this time to save as much as you can so you can take it easier during the school year! Instead of balancing 17 credit hours and a part-time job in the fall, you get to focus on one or two classes and the rest of your time you can spend saving some cash. Your future self will thank you for all that bank you’ll be making.

3. Get Outdoors

Any activity outside will make you feel like you’re on a vacation. My advice would be to try things you’ve always been too busy to do during the school year. For instance, go on a hike or play some sports outside. You’ll have much more free time to do what you want to do and won’t be stuck trying to balance multiple class assignments.

4. Find New Friends

Finally, figure out who else that you know of is staying here for the summer. Create a group chat and set aside time each week to hang with your friends who also made the now-questionable decision to take a summer class. You can relieve stress of your naïve decision together and make those friends who went on actual vacations jealous. You’ll also get closer and build friendships with those who stuck around.

I'm a 30 Rock enthusiast who also loves David Bowie. That's all you need to know.
A writer and creator with a weird sense of humor. A big fan of the golden rule and an even bigger fan of the Blackhawks. Chicago-born, Mizzou-made. HCXO