How to Avoid Talking Politics During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

With the holidays coming up, one can expect a lot of extended family time. After such a long election cycle finally being over, many are dreading long talks to relatives surrounding conflicting political views and awkward conversations about the election. Here are some topics to talk to your family when things start taking a turn for the worse.  

1. Weird celebrity conspiracy theories

On the Internet, there is an extreme amount of conspiracy theories surrounding celebrities. They range from Beyoncé faking being pregnant, Paul McCartney being dead, Taylor Swift being a clone of a satanic worshipper and more.  Just head to Google to read more about them, and discuss with your family which ones could be true.

2. Which SNL impersonation was the best

Despite the high tensions during the election cycle, SNL had some of the funniest impersonations surrounding Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton. Bring up the funny sketches that SNL did, who played Donald Trump better or, overall, who had a better impression.

3. Kim Kardashian and her robbing in Paris

After her traumatic experience in Paris, Kim K has been saying how she may not return to the public’s eye. This statement has held true; she is not posting as many Snapchats, hiding from paparazzi when she goes out and about and has only recently started posting pictures of her children and herself from Halloween. What does your family think of the event that happened to her? What are their opinions about the Kardashian family? Will Kim ever return to the public’s eye the same as before?

4. What you should watch next on Netflix

As a college student, nothing can be better to pass the time than Netflix. That being said, it can be hard to find what to watch next sometimes with the constant binging. Ask your relatives what they recommend for you to watch next for your next binge session.

5. What holiday food you would rather not have

While at the dinner table it can be easy to have topics of conversations get awkward quickly. Bring up what food they would rather see disappear from the table forever. It doesn’t have to be limited to just what your family has; it can be expanded to standard holiday dishes. Holidays can be hard, especially with the long lasting family time you will be experiencing. Hopefully, the topics don’t get too overwhelming, and everyone has a fun and safe holiday season! Here’s an SNL video in the meantime to tide you over. 

HC Contributer Mizzou