Home Sweet Home: Spring Break Staycation 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

When most people think of spring break, the stereotypical sun, sand and fun with friends comes to mind. But many collegiettes™ are heading back to their hometowns rather than flocking to Panama City Beach and Cancun. Consider this your guide to the perfect “staycation,” so that going home sweet home can be the relaxing break you need from the craziness of second semester.

Day 1: Do absolutely nothing
I don’t know if you’ve ever tried it, but doing absolutely nothing is harder than it sounds. After a long day of traveling home, this type of rest and recuperation is much needed. Sometimes we as students forget to take time and let ourselves regain sanity. Take the first day of break to stop, breathe, relax and do nothing. Sleep in as late as possible, and make no plans but to lounge in your pajamas because you deserve to catch up on some R & R.

Day 2: Spend time with the people who matter in your life
When you head back to your original zip code, spend time with your family and your high school friends. No matter what year you are in school, being away from your family and the people you grew up with can be hard. Make the most of your time at home to catch up with the people you don’t see on campus.

Day 3: Mani/Pedi

Vacations are all about unwinding, so why not pamper yourself? Take a few friends, your mom or your sister with you to the nail salon and spend a day treating yourself like royalty. Because the weather is warming up, this is the perfect opportunity to switch over from those dark winter polish colors to something more fresh and clean for spring. I recommend Guy Meets Gal-veston from the Spring/Summer 2011 OPI Texas Collection.

Day 4: Summer job hunt
If you’re heading home again for summer, spring break is the perfect time to apply for jobs and internships. You can set up interviews with potential employers during the week. By letting employers put your face to your application, you will raise your chances of getting hired. Also, by searching now, you won’t have to stress about it when you get back to school.

Day 5: Paint your room
Let out your inner craft queen. Become a do-it-yourselfer, and give your room a makeover. Just because you spend more of the year at school doesn’t mean your room at home shouldn’t be all about you. Chances are, you still have the same shade of bubblegum pink you chose in seventh grade. Now, you finally have the time to get rid of that headache-inducing color and create a space that reflects the more mature you.

Day 6: Pack a picnic

If you’re lucky enough to live somewhere with a warm and sunny spring, take advantage of the break from the rain. Round up a few of your friends, and pack a picnic for the park. Spend as much time as you can basking in the sun and breathing in the fresh air. Once you get back to campus, you will once again be stuck in classrooms, so take advantage of this time.

Day 7: Read a book
During the semester, schoolwork and reading tends to overwhelm most students. When we do have a little spare time, the last thing on our minds is more reading. Well, spring break is the time to read that juicy novel that has been sitting on the corner of your desk all semester. You can finally enjoy reading something other than your Poli Sci 1100 textbook.

Day 8: Plant a garden
Here at Mizzou, many of us live in apartments and dorms, so we don’t have any grass or yard space. The solution for those of you who want to develop a green thumb: Plant a vegetable and spice garden while you’re home over spring break. This way, your whole family can enjoy fresh tomatoes and spices all summer long. Believe me, chefs do not lie when they say that fresh ingredients make a difference in taste and nutrition, so grow your own right in your backyard.

Kelsey Mirando is a senior at the University of Missouri, class of 2011, studying Magazine Journalism, English and Sociology. Born and raised in Tulsa, Okla., Kelsey enjoys travel, volunteerism and any Leonardo DiCaprio movie. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity and has served as President of the Society of Professional Journalists, MU chapter. She has reported among the Tiger fans of Columbia, Mo., the hustle and bustle of Beijing and the bright lights of New York City. Kelsey recently completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program and is now soaking up every moment of her senior year at Mizzou.