Hit The Books: Winter Break Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Textbooks are probably not your ideal bedtime story, but with intense class schedules and finals approaching, how do you ever find time to read books for fun? I constantly make longer and longer lists of books I want to read, so finally I found a list of 100 must-read books. It’s a perfect task to take on during Thanksgiving and winter breaks when our schedules clear up a bit. There are a lot of lists like this out there, but I think this one does the best job covering the classics and the contemporary classics. So set aside those textbooks and snuggle up with one of these instead. Here are a few of my faves from the list:

1. The Harry Potter series – Yes, I am a fan. For those of you who have seen the movies but skipped reading the books, you do not know what you’re missing. Next time you reach for one of the movies, grab the book instead and see how all the magic began.
  2. Catcher in the Rye – If you are feeling a little rebellious, join protagonist Holden Caulfield on his rampant adventures. Intelligent and sensitive, he sets out to understand society on his own terms.
  3. The Time Traveler’s Wife – Henry and Claire are in love, but their love is challenged by time. The idea of a long-distance relationship doesn’t even begin to cover their struggles to stay together in this time-warped love story.
  4. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe – The second entity in The Chronicles of Narnia series follows four siblings who find a magical land beyond the wall of a closet. C.S. Lewis takes us on an imaginative journey as they meet new friends and save Narnia.
  5. Pride and Prejudice – Mrs. Darcy is very troubled with the task of ensuring her daughters find long and happy marriages with suitable men. Which romances will flourish and which romances will fail to meet the standards? You’ll have to read it to find out.
  6. Crime and Punishment – Ok, so it’s not your typical happy bedtime story. But if you thrive on the mental distress of literary characters, then this is the book for you. Follow protagonist Raskolnikov through his disturbed and paranoid thoughts after he commits murder and just can’t let it go.
  7. The Shadow of the Wind – Daniel Sempere learns literature is much more than pages in a book. He endeavors to seek out works by particularly mysterious authors and along the way delves further into the literary world than he ever thought possible.
  8. The Five People You Meet in Heaven – Eddie’s life was one of loss and hopelessness, and it suddenly ended one day at his job on the pier. In heaven, Eddie meets five people who had some significance during his lifetime. He learns that his life was much more valuable and important than he ever would have guessed.
  9. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Yes, Robert Downey Jr. is humorously charming in the recent Sherlock Holmes films. Meet the original Sherlock Holmes created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and see the mischief he creates as he solves a mystery.
  10. The Three Musketeers – “All for one, one for all.” If you recognize this quote and crave action, romance and historical value, then pick up this novel by Alexandre Dumas. Follow main character D’Artagnan and the three musketeers on their adventures.
Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!