A Hellish Paradise–Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

“Jacobs by Marc Jacobs for Marc by Marc Jacobs, in collaboration with Marc Jacobs for Marc by Marc Jacobs.”

If I ever executed something as brilliantly as Marc Jacobs, I would have my name that many times on my merchandise too. Marc Jacobs always pushes fashion forward. His latest 2015 collection, a combination of chic feminine with a severe twist, featured skirts with the illusions of “pleats” (which were actually individual pieces of fabric), nail heads, and a Dante’s Inferno feel on the runway. This line is about demanding of attention and power. Unkown to most, Jacobs looks to find inspiration from fashion world icons and artistic muses. This new collection was no different.

Marc always has a theme for his runway productions that occasionally pay tribute to other artistic masterminds. In this case, there are two people he had in mind. Diana Vreeland, past editor-in-chief at Vogue and costume consultant at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, was one of them. She notoriously had her New York apartment done completely in red (decorated by Billy Baldwin) and refers to her living room as a “Garden in hell,” which is exactly what fashion is in the world of Marc Jacobs. Using red walls and a painted sofa backdrop, he imitated her living room on the runway. Jeremiah Goodman, Marc’s other muse, is a renowned artist that specializes in interiors and recreating rooms. Naturally, Jeremiah Goodman has a painting titled “Garden In Hell”, which is based off of Diana Vreeland’s living room. This painting was the inspiration behind the line that graced the runway and the world’s presence for Marc’s line this fall. Who knew?

A writer and creator with a weird sense of humor. A big fan of the golden rule and an even bigger fan of the Blackhawks. Chicago-born, Mizzou-made. HCXO