A Guide to Dressing for Jobs and Internships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

We are getting to the age where most of our time is spent either in class, at work or preparing for the two. We are busy, have limited money and don’t want to waste our time trying to decode the countless categories of work uniform attire. Finding an internship or job is difficult enough. Don’t let outfit planning for them be another hassle in your life. Here is a quick and painless guide to all things business attire, so you are never confused again. 

Casual (Snappy Casual)

Snappy casual is essentially anything a step up from your everyday attire of jeans and a casual tee.  Jeans are approved for snappy casual, as long as the distressed and edgy look is kept to a minimum.  Flats, booties or tall boots are all considered snappy casual, but heels can certainly be worn if wanted.  As for tops, a dressy top or sweater is completely acceptable.  Items from your everyday wardrobe can be worn for snappy casual, as can trendy pieces, bright colors and fun prints.  Overall, snappy casual attire is whatever you would wear to grab lunch with friends or attend a lecture.  

Business Casual

Business casual is slightly more professional than snappy casual.  These days, most offices follow a business casual wardrobe, but different industries have varying definitions of business casual, so it is best to clarify with the company before assuming the dress code.  Oftentimes, business casual consists of dress pants or khakis with a fashionable top.  Blazers aren’t required but are a fun way to add personality.  Casual skirts are also approved for business casual.  Heels, flats and dressier boots are all acceptable footwear.  Trendy and colorful clothing items are encouraged to brighten up your look.

Smart Casual

Smart casual is by far the most confusing category of work attire.  People oftentimes misinterpret smart casual as being lower on the dressy scale than business casual, but it is actually the opposite.  Smart casual is one step up from business casual but not quite business professional.  You should look smart, stylish and put together.  Dress slacks or a skirt are your safest options, and people often wear blazers to pull their outfits together.  That being said, smart casual does not equal uptight and stuffy.  Colorful blouses are allowed and encouraged, along with fun jewelry, a trendy skirt or blazer and closed toed pumps or booties. 

Business Professional

Business professional attire is more formal than smart casual, often calling for a business suit or dress.  Closed toe high or low heels should be worn, and colors should be slightly more subdued and professional.  If you are interviewing or work in a more creative industry, colors and prints may be acceptable, but black, gray, tan, white and navy are your safest bets.

HC Contributer Mizzou