alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Get Your Glow On: 5 Self-Tanning Products To Invest In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Sun’s out, skin’s out, and we all know what that means. It’s time to pull out the swimsuits, shorts and tank tops because the weather is warming up, and summer is quickly approaching! More than likely, your legs haven’t seen the sun in what feels like 30 years. After all, walking across Mizzou’s campus in the dead of winter calls for layers on layers. Unless you went somewhere tropical for spring break, your vitamin D has been lacking the past few months. 

In recent years, we have learned more and more about the dangers of tanning beds. Using an indoor tanning bed just one time increases your chances of getting skin cancer by approximately 20 percent. Yes, ONE time. Additional sessions cause even more damage to your skin.

So how do we achieve that bronzed glow without putting our health at risk? Self-tanning products are becoming more and more popular as an increased awareness of the risks associated with indoor tanning beds becomes widespread.

Now, before an image of Willy Wonka’s Oompa Loompas flash into your mind, realize that not all self-tanners will leave you looking orange, splotchy, streaky or like you just rolled around in a bag of Cheetos. Let’s be real, that is every spray tan enthusiast’s worst nightmare. 

Getting a spray tan done at a spa or salon every time you need a quick bronze can be pricey and time-consuming. This is where self-tanning products come in and save the day. These are the top 5 to look into as the weather warms up.

St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse

St. Tropez is perfect for a natural, streak-free glow that can be done overnight or even within the hour. St. Tropez offers their classic and dark bronzing mousse, which takes 4-8 hours to develop, or their “express” bronzing mousse which can only be left on for 1-3 hours depending on how dark you want your tan. It is super easy to apply, but it is recommended that you use the applicator mitt for the best results. St. Tropez can be found at most beauty supply stores like Ulta and Beauty Brands for $44.00.

Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Spray

This spray is a BARGAIN. You can get a can of Sally Hansen’s Airbrush Legs Spray for $12.35 at Walmart. It is natural looking and comes in light, tan, or deep glow to help you achieve your desired look. It is actually considered leg makeup, so it will cover any imperfections like freckles, moles, or spider veins, 

Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer

Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer is applied daily for a week to build up your tan naturally. It is applied just like a lotion and comes in two shades, Medium and Medium/Tan, so you have complete control over your color. Since it is a gradual tanning lotion, it is super easy to make sure you don’t go overboard and end up too dark for your complexion. It can be found at Walmart or Target for only $8.49 a bottle.

Tarte Brazilliance PLUS Self Tanner

Do you hate that “freshly spray tanned smell?” We all know exactly what it smells like, and we can probably all detect it from a mile away. Tarte’s Brazilliance PLUS Self Tanner is unscented, so you can rest assured that you won’t reek of coconuts or any other scent infused into most self-tanning products. Tarte’s self-tanner is also infused with a blend of aloe and citric acid to not only leave your skin tanned but also smooth and soft. Just like the St. Tropez mousse, Tarte Brazilliance PLUS is applied with an applicator mitt and only takes 4 hours to give you a glow. This gem can be found at Sephora for $39.00. Oh, and it’s also vegan.

Kate Somerville 360 Tanning Towelettes

If you’re a bit more of a control freak and don’t like the idea of using a free spray or a mousse, you may want to opt for a towelette. Kate Somerville’s 360 Tanning Towelettes are cloths that are already covered in self-tanner and come in little individual packets. All you have to do is open it up and rub the towel in a circular motion across your body and face to achieve your perfect glow. These can be found at Sephora in packs of 8 for $48.00.

So who’s ready to hit the pool? Using a self-tanning product is a safe way to achieve your desired glow without putting your health at risk or paying for individual spray tans at a spa. With so many self-tanning products on the market, it can be confusing which ones will give you the best results, but these 5 caught our eye, and we hope they catch yours, too!

HC Contributer Mizzou