Finals: 4 Tips on How to Survive (Plus the Products That Will Help)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Ah the joy of finals week. Nothing screams fun more than writing papers, flipping through Quizlet, and practically sleeping in piles of notes. It is the make it or break it point of the semester and will define you GPA, major, and your life. Okay, maybe not your life, but it is the one of the most anticipated (read: feared) weeks of the semester. Tackling it with the highest level of efficiency can be tricky, but if you keep these few tips in mind, you’ll be ahead of the crowd.

1. Keep the hair (and outfit) simple and easy

Whether you’re studying or taking an exam, no one wants to deal with a tangled mess on their head. Stick to the classic messy bun, a braid, or ponytail to keep it simple. If you’re like me and prefer to keep it down, Tresemme makes an amazing sea salt spray that’s perfect to spray, scrunch, and bring out your natural waves for a simple look. I also keep it causal with joggers, layers, and sneakers. Lecture halls and classrooms all have different temperatures and you never know ahead of time what will be comfortable. If you stick to the layers, you’ll be cool and casual throughout all your studying and exams.

2. Stay Organized

Nothing is worse than not being able to find that one outline or rough draft. If you have an iPhone, Wunderlist and Todoist are both great apps that can help you schedule your finals, study time, and everything in between for free. If you’re headed to Ellis and want to pack light, I usually ditch the purse or wallet and will slip my Vera Bradley ID case in my backpack. It’s functional, small, and will fit the few things I actually need, like my school ID, debit card, and some cash. Did I mention it comes in a bunch of fun prints?! No need to sacrifice style for function with this one.

3. Limit the All-Nighters

Studies have continuously shown that a good night sleep equates to better focus and recall of memory. As irresistible as it is to stay up all night, make the better call and get to bed early and wake up early. If you have no choice, make the best out of your all nighter by snacking on complex carbs like almonds, drinking plenty of water, and giving yourself mini breaks. For those who can’t make it past midnight, 5 hour energy makes those all nighters possible and will keep you focused for that Biology final. Try one of their new, yummy flavors (like peach mango!) and give your taste buds a wake up call too.

4. Don’t Procrastinate

The quickest way to get behind and feel the full stress of finals by putting work off. Schedule your study times and put in breaks in between to break the time up. Personally, I like grabbing coffee with a friend or getting a workout in between studying. After a certain amount of time, I tend to lose my focus and these breaks help me get back on track. Making study groups also holds you a little more accountable to study and group collaboration is a great strategy. 

A writer and creator with a weird sense of humor. A big fan of the golden rule and an even bigger fan of the Blackhawks. Chicago-born, Mizzou-made. HCXO