Fashion Police Returns to E!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

E! Network’s now infamous show is back and shaking things up. The new season of “Fashion Police” premiered on August 31 featuring its brand new host, Melissa Rivers. Originally the show’s executive producer, Rivers is now filling the seat of her late mother, Joan Rivers, as the main host. Giuliana Rancic and Brad Goreski also return to round out the main panel.

This season, each episode will also feature two celebrity guest panelists. Margaret Cho and Nene Leakes filled the seats for the hour-long premiere, joining Rivers, Rancic and Goreski to discuss the looks of the 2015 VMA’s.

The new season comes after a six-month hiatus following some conflicts with the show’s stars. Kelly Osbourne exited the show after co-star Giuliana Rancic made controversial remarks about actress Zendaya. In the Oscars episode of “Fashion Police,” Rancic commented that Zendaya looked like she would smell like “patchouli oil or weed” because of her dreadlock hairstyle. Osbourne looked stunned after Rancic’s comment and later took to Twitter to say that she does “not condone racism” and was “seriously questioning staying on the show.” Rancic quickly apologized for her comments, but Osbourne decided to leave regardless.

Soon after Osbourne left, fellow panelist Kathy Griffin followed suit. Griffin stepped in to host the show after Joan Rivers’ death but quit after seven episodes. In a statement posted to Twitter, Griffin said, “I do not want to use my comedy to contribute to a culture of unattainable perfectionism and intolerance toward difference… I discovered that my style does not fit with the creative direction of the show and now it’s time to move on.”

“Fashion Police” announced soon after that the show would be taking a hiatus until September, where both Rancic and Goreski would return to the panel.

Now the show is back, and the stars are excited about the new season and host. “It’s better than it’s ever been before,” said Rancic in an interview with E! News. “I know that Joan is just loving this moment. She loves seeing Melissa there… I knew Melissa was going to be good, but she exceeded my expectations. You can tell that she is her mother’s daughter.”

Tune in to “Fashion Police” airing Monday nights at 8/7c on E!

Writer. Traveler. Starbucks regular.
A writer and creator with a weird sense of humor. A big fan of the golden rule and an even bigger fan of the Blackhawks. Chicago-born, Mizzou-made. HCXO