Fans React to the 2018 Grammy Nominations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

One of the most watched award ceremonies in the U.S., the Grammys, released nominations for the 2018 show this past Tuesday, Nov. 28. First, a big congratulations to all who were nominated! Many showed great thanks and excitement on social media Tuesday morning. However, fans and critics have shown signs of disapproval for a variety of the award nominations, saying a lot of their favorites and most deserving artists were snubbed. Here are some of the top complaints people had:

Harry Styles’ Album, “Harry Styles”

(Photo source: Rolling Stone)

Many fans were surprised and very unhappy Harry Styles did not receive any recognition for his album. Especially because this was his first debut album as a solo artist. It seems the academy wasn’t diggin’ his style. Sorry, One Directioners!

Miranda Lambert’s Album, “The Weight of These Wings”

(Photo source: Rolling Stone)

Miranda’s album debuted in the beginning of 2017, and took the country music world on a journey with multiple hit songs. The academy did not give the spunky singer any nominations this year when many were predicting her album for the categories of Album of the Year and Best Country Album. Miranda definitely was snubbed this year.

Ed Sheeran’s single, “Shape of You”, and album, “Divide”

(Photo source: Billboard)

Ed Sheeran’s song, “Shape of You”, was one of the biggest hits of 2017, so it was surely a surprise he did not get a nomination for such a fun jam. His new album was a hit in itself as well. Fans were not happy with this snub, and it definitely caught many off guard due to Sheeran’s nominations for many past award ceremonies.

“Despacito” by Luis Fonsi ft. Justin Bieber and Daddy Yankee

(Photo source: Billboard)

A huge complaint traveling around is the “Despacito” nomination for Song of the Year. A lot of this stems from the frustration of the song replacing other popular hits in the running. Although fans are bothered (maybe due to the way the song becomes stuck in one’s head for days), it was nominated for a reason!

Now, all we have to do is sit back and let the anticipation rise for the big night!

HC Contributer Mizzou