This Fall’s Top Trends– and How to Wear Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

With the summer heat almost behind us, fall is rapidly approaching. Just thinking about being able to walk to class in a sweater without melting makes me giddy. In preparation for the colder months, I’ve pulled together my favorite looks of the season. Check out my top five fall trends and tips on how to style them below:

1. Button-Front Mini Skirts

Talk about a blast from the past! Button-front minis are back and better than ever. With the help of brands like American Apparel and Brandy Melville, this 90s trend has returned to the mainstream. To add the perfect amount of grunge to your look, wear this with a cropped long-sleeved turtleneck and tights for extra warmth.

2. Jumpsuits

Jumpsuits have been a universal favorite recently. The trend first popped up all over Fall 2014 fashion week with designers like Eli Saab and Stella McCartney giving their spin on the classic piece. It has now taken over street style, showing up on almost every fashion blogger’s Instagram feed. Jumpsuits are a great transitional piece that can be worn at almost any time of the year. Try pairing yours with some chunky booties, a clutch and a blazer for the colder months.

3. Over-the-Knee Boots

Looking sexy and staying warm seem almost mutually exclusive during the winter, but over-the-knee boots have come to the rescue. Although they’re probably too dressy for a typical school day, these are the perfect shoes for going out on chilly nights. Lace them up with your best shift dress and a fur coat for an elegant nighttime look.

4. Double Denim

All hail the Canadian jumpsuit. Once seen as a total fashion faux pas, double denim is now not only acceptable but encouraged. It has become a favorite among celebrities and bloggers, and several magazines have featured the trend on their covers. To avoid looking too summery, stick with darker shades on the bottom half of your body. If you’re new to the denim on denim trend, use a light shade on top and a dark shade on the bottom. Feeling bold? Go all dark and match the top and bottom shades.

5. Chunky Knits

What’s better than being comfortable and fashionable? Chunky knits are going to be huge for fall, and women everywhere are rejoicing. Cable knit, cowl neck or cashmere, anything goes this season. Big sweaters can easily drown you, so pair yours with skinny jeans or leggings to avoid overwhelming your frame. Add an oversized tote and you’re ready for a chilly day on campus.

Writer. Traveler. Starbucks regular.
A writer and creator with a weird sense of humor. A big fan of the golden rule and an even bigger fan of the Blackhawks. Chicago-born, Mizzou-made. HCXO