Columbia Raises Minimum Smoking Age

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

For those of you who don’t know, there is a movement across America to make the new minimum smoking age 21.

Columbia is one of the many places across the country that has recently raised their minimum age limit to smoke tobacco from 18 to 21. You must now be 21 years or older in order to purchase tobacco or tobacco-related products, as well as vapor products such as e-cigarettes. It is also now illegal to use vapor products or e-cigarettes indoors.

Among the list of places that have instituted this change in laws is New York. New York has really been vital to the movement and has been on the forefront for a lot of the changes relating to tobacco use.

If you have any questions about what’s going on or want to learn more about the movement to shift the tobacco age, check out tobacco21.org. What do you think about the raised minimum age?

During my time with HerCampus, I was a Senior at Mizzou, originally from the Chicagoland area. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with emphases in Journalism, Film Studies, and Art, and I have a certificate in Multicultural Studies. I am now pursuing an MBA at another university. I like movies, sushi, photography, and Chipotle.   deenakahn.com
HC Contributer Mizzou