This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Cara Hartwig is quite the role model. Not only is she involved in Mizzou Alternative Breaks, the Cornell Leadership Program and is a Business School Ambassador, but she serves as the chief of staff for MSA. Her Campus Mizzou sat down with her to learn more about this incredibly inspiring woman.

Her Campus Mizzou: Can you tell me a little more about your role at MSA?

Cara Hartwig: I serve as the chief of staff for the Executive Cabinet within MSA. I work very closely with the president (Payton Head) to ensure that our cabinet is working as efficiently as possible. My main focus is working on the internal communication of our group, making sure that everyone always knows what is going on. This includes keeping an up-to-date calendar for cabinet members of MSA and campus-wide events, as well as running our cabinet meetings. I also work on various special projects such as planning the MSA Inauguration, creating recognition for our members, and creating a cohesive team within the Executive Cabinet.

HCM: How did you get involved in MSA?

CH: I was first involved in MSA during the fall semester of my sophomore year. I worked on the executive board of Truman’s Closet as the education co-chair. After that semester, I was not directly involved in MSA until now, but I did participate in several events sponsored by MSA, and always knew what was going on in the organization. Then, this fall, I decided to help Payton out with his campaign. I was so passionate about the four pillars in his platform, and I decided to become involved again.

HCM: How did you obtain this role?

CH: The Executive Cabinet is selected through an application and interview process.

HCM: What is your favorite part of the job?

CH: Because I wasn’t very involved in MSA before this role, I love learning more about this organization every day. I love learning about the individual departments, auxiliaries and services our organization has to offer. I also love the connections I’ve made with the various members, as well as students, faculty and staff from all across campus. Overall, it has been a fantastic way for me to learn more about this university and create some amazing relationships. I love that this position provides a constant opportunity to learn more about this campus and how we can improve it.

HCM: What’s the most difficult part about the job?

CH: With any position, you are never going to be able to please everyone. Being a member of executive cabinet, sometimes we have to make unpopular decisions in order to do what we believe is best for this university. But it provides a unique opportunity to learn about all aspects and viewpoints to an issue before making the final say. But in the end, you are held accountable for all of the actions of MSA as a whole.

HCM: How can readers get involved in MSA?

CH: Check out msa.missouri.edu to see our various departments and services. You can email msa@missouri.edu with what interests you and we will put you in contact with the right person! The beauty of MSA is that there are so many ways to be involved, from being a senator, to planning events for DSA like the Midnight BBQ, to driving for STRIPES. The opportunities are endless!

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.