Campus Celeb: Hannah Hoffmeister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

This week’s Campus Celeb is freshman Hannah Hoffmeister, Journalism major from St. Louis. While most of us were probably still trying to figure out how to get to class on time as freshmen, Hannah is already a published author. She has not one, but FIVE published books. Check out what Hannah has to say about how she began writing and what she hopes to do in the future! 

Her Campus Mizzou: What made you want to start writing books? What are your books about?

Hannah Hoffmeister: I don’t remember the day I decided to become an author, but I have been writing since I was 4 years old. I have two grandparents who love writing, so I like to think that maybe they passed that love down to me. My books are about a sassy 13-year-old girl named Ava who finds out that she is a witch and that she has to go to a school on Neptune. The school is like a high school in that is is four years long, so each book (minus the 4th one, Hero) details a year at her school. The books have a fantasy setting but read more like a realistic fiction novel. 

HCM: What is your dream job or where do you see yourself after college?

HH: My dream job would be something that would incorporate writing, traveling, and family time. I am excited about all the different opportunities offered in journalism, but I am also exploring the possibility of a career in law. I’m excited to see what happens!

HCM: What is the most valuable thing you’ve learned from being a published author?

HH: Being a published author has taught me a lot. First of all, I do not think I’m special because I’ve had books published. I truly believe that if someone works hard enough, he or she is capable of writing a book and getting it published—or becoming an awesome dancer, artist, businessman, etc. I think above all, I’ve learned what it means to work hard and dedicate yourself to something you’re passionate about. Hard work doesn’t mean every day is sunshine and rainbows, but it does mean you are still passionate about the task at hand and think that the time spent will be worth it.

HCM: Are you involved in anything else here on campus?

HH: I am a member of Greek Life, as well as a beat writer for the softball team for The Maneater newspaper. I am in political science club and International Justice Mission club, and I recently got a job at Pickleman’s sandwiches.