Campus Celeb: Grace Doran

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Our campus celeb this week is one of the most dedicated people we’ve ever come across, Grace Doran! Grace is an engineering major here at Mizzou, and she’s doing great things not only in her field but also for marginalized communities. Read more to find out all the wonderful things Grace is doing!

1. What is your year in school, hometown, and major?

Year: Senior

Hometown: Kansas City, MO

Major: Civil & Environmental Engineering

2. What clubs or organizations are you a part of here at Mizzou and why?

I am a member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority and was on the executive board during my sophomore to junior year. I have met some of my best friends through Adpi and am constantly inspired and in awe of the achievements and accomplishments of my sisters. My mom was also in Adpi when she was in college! I also served as the director of Greek Allies for two years, an organization dedicated to educating the Greek Community about LGBTQ issues and helping those that do identify as LGBTQ feel included within the Greek Community. I am also the founder and a current tri-director of Out in STEM, an organization that connects LGBTQ students in the STEM fields. I also do undergraduate research through the College of Engineering on stormwater runoff. 

3. What is your most proud accomplishment during your time here at Mizzou?

My proudest accomplishment during my time here at Mizzou comes with my membership of the College of Engineering Student Services Inclusivity Advisory Board, which is an organization dedicated to being inclusive of all students within the College of Engineering and acting as a sounding board for diverse students to the College. During the Fall of 2015, our members submitted a Call to Action to the new engineering dean, Dr. Elizabeth Loboa, asking that a gender neutral restroom be implemented into the design plans of the renovation of the College. I am proud to say that with the opening of the renovation this semester there is now a gender neutral restroom centrally located in the College of Engineering.

4. What are your plans for after graduation?

I am graduating in December of 2017 and I plan on taking a few months off before I start working to go abroad since I have never been out of the country!

5/6. Why did you decide to start Out in STEM at Mizzou? Why is Out in STEM an important group and what is your favorite thing about it? 

I and another student decided to start Out in STEM when we realized the necessity of an organization of its kind. There were LGBTQ groups and STEM groups at Mizzou, but nothing that connected the two identities. We wanted our group to be a safe space where students could come and talk about their experiences while also promoting personal and professional development. As a national organization, started only in 2005, we had a foundation and support network when we decided to start it here at Mizzou. My favorite thing about Out in STEM is meeting and relating to students from all different STEM disciplines where we also share a common connection of being in the LGBTQ community. There was also a national conference in Denver in November of 2016 that was incredible to be part of.

7. What has being in Greek life at Mizzou brought to your experience? 

Being in Greek life at Mizzou has introduced me to some of my best friends and most inspiring and dedicated women I have ever met. It has given me an outlet and much needed contrast from the heavily male dominated College of Engineering to an all-girls environment. I have gotten so much more support from my sorority than I ever could have imagined.

8. What are your favorite things about Kansas City? 

My favorite things about Kansas City are discovering all of the cool hidden parts of the city. Kansas City is so hip and so underrated, with the incredible art and music scene, and there are also great coffee shops and brunch places (two of my favorite things). I love showing new people around and seeing their low expectations get completely blown away because of how cool it is!

9. What are your plans for the summer? 

I will be in Minneapolis, MN for an Environmental Engineering internship with Barr Engineering working in the Water Resources group. I plan on spending the majority of my free time outside exploring the city and making friends with people that have lake houses.

HC Contributer Mizzou