Breaking News: You Can Do Something About These Recent Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The past couple weeks have seen some rougher times for humans in the paths of floodwaters, high winds and gunfire. Opening Twitter evokes a sense of despair and guilt. Many of us feel like we can’t do anything to help victims of Irma, Harvey, Maria and the Las Vegas shooting.

Though some may be far from the damage, and others may be very close, we have to remember that their recovery starts with individual people acting on that feeling of seemingly helpless empathy. There are ways you can help to slowly re-patch these torn lives. They don’t have to be earth-shaking movements. You have to learn that the best thing you can do is do your best with what gifts you have, who you are and where you’re at in life.

I’ve compiled a short, simple list of seven things you can do (at MU!) to help fight despair in the wake of these disasters. You can do one, all, or way more than these tasks, but remember that each effort is extremely valuable.

Donate blood

More now than ever, the Red Cross is in desperate need of donations for hurricane and shooting victims. Donate at the upcoming Homecoming Blood Drive this week or on your own time at the nearest Red Cross location. You may be scared (I was!!), but you overcoming that small fear could mean that three people get to live. Your heart could literally beat for these victims.

Donate money

There are thousands of charities out there but be careful which ones you donate to. The best charities are transparent with where their money goes. Here is a fantastic article that breaks down the giving process and lists some great, active organizations:

(Also, I get it: We’re poor college students, but don’t let that stop you from taking half the tips you earn in one night of work or even just grabbing a few dollars from your wallet to send. Every bit counts. Really.)

Retweet

Some fraternities or other on-campus organizations will donate money for every like and/or retweet they receive on their statement tweet.

This is an older tweet, but be on the lookout for future similar fundraisers.

Jam out!

While we’re on the subject of Twitter, Lin Manuel-Miranda dropped an incredible song titled “Almost Like Praying”. All money earned from the song will benefit Puerto-Rico victims, so buying it in some fashion (Apple Music, etc) would contribute to the cause.

Here is an AWESOME story on his song!

Make victims visible

Shifting a bit towards Vegas now, read and share articles like these with beautifully illustrative profiles of each victim.

Be positive

Especially on social media. The worlds of thousands Americans have crumbled, and you could be a ray of hope for someone aimlessly scrolling through Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.

Start something of your own!

After Harvey, a group of MU students dropped everything and travelled to Houston for a weekend.

Like these students did, act if you see a need somewhere. Build a group of people around you who will help and support your cause. Remember the power of one decision to stop watching and start helping.

Hi :) My name is Lizzy Joslyn, and I'm a sophomore studying journalism at Mizzou.
HC Contributer Mizzou