Best And Worst Dressed At The 2012 Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

In spite of all the controversy at this year’s Oscars – critics said The Artist shouldn’t have won best picture and the entire show was boring and old – we have to admit that the fashion scene on the red carpet was certainly still interesting. Her Campus Mizzou picked out the best of the best (and worst of the worst) for you to decide who deserves a little gold man for style.

Best-dressed
1. Milla Jovovich in Elie Saab Couture
Turns out the multitalented actress, singer and model is a style icon, too. Strutting down the red carpet in her white sequined one-shoulder couture, Jovovich managed to make many fans’ hearts skip a beat. Just look at all those people at the back who applauded for her impeccable taste.

2. Penélope Cruz in Custom Armani Prive
Let’s just say that we immediately thought of Grace Kelly when we saw Cruz. The stunning Spanish actress carried herself like an old-Hollywood princess in her gray tulle off-the-shoulder dress, matching satin clutch and classic ’50s-inspired hairstyle.

3. Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford
While the other A-listers were decked out in the most elaborated gowns they could find, Paltrow made a chic yet effortless statement in a white, tailored dress with a floor-length cape. Did we already mention her incredibly sleek ponytail?

[pagebreak]

Worst-dressed
1. Jessica Chastain in Alexander McQueen
As much as we appreciate Chastain for paying tribute to the late and great designer McQueen, it’s blatantly obvious that the Oscar nominee had a hard time pulling off this heavily embellished gown. An updo would probably have helped keep the look cleaner and more sophisticated.

2. Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace
We hate to break it to the red-carpet regular, but after seeing way too many similar black thing-high slits, it’s time for Jolie to adopt the rule of less is more. Can’t we all agree that her 42-inch long legs aren’t the only body features worth flaunting?

3. Stacy Keibler in Marchesa
It’s simple: Keibler’s boring choice of this stiff and flashy gold dress allowed her charismatic plus-one George Clooney to easily steal her spotlight on the red carpet.

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!