This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Amanda Farrer is on cloud nine after being announced the new PHA President for this upcoming year. Read more to find out about the junior from Indiana studying Strategic Communications while upholding this honor.

Her Campus Mizzou: What was going through your mind when you were elected the new PHA President?

Amanda Farrer: I honestly was so shocked. I really didn’t think I would be elected. Not because I’m not confident in my skills, but I just knew there were a lot of qualified people running. When the previous PHA President, Allison Fitts, called me to offer me the position I screamed for about a minute straight because I was so excited. The following week whenever anyone would bring it up I would say, “Wait, so that wasn’t a dream.” Because it honestly felt like one.

HCM: What are your responsibilities as the PHA President?

AF: As PHA President I act as a liaison between chapter members, administrators, and other organizations on campus. I attend and host a lot of meetings with various groups on campus. I also am here to help our executive board accomplish their goals. If any [members] of our executive board ever need anything I am there to help them. The most important role as PHA President is being an advocate for the chapters. Since I am the face of the PHA community, I am always looking out for the best interest of our members and making sure their voices are heard.

HCM: What are you most excited for with this new position?

AF: I am so excited for all of the new people I get to meet. Because I meet with a lot of different on-campus organizations, I have already had the opportunity to meet so many people that I wouldn’t have otherwise known. Getting to share your ideas and thoughts with new people is so cool. It definitely has made a big campus seem much smaller. I am also just so excited about our executive board this year. We have an amazing group of women working towards making the PHA community better and I really think we are going to do some great things this year.  

HCM: What can other students do to get involved with PHA?

AF: If a student is interested in joining a PHA chapter they can sign up for informal recruitment on Org Sync. They can also register this summer to participate in our formal recruitment process, which takes place in August. As for other on-campus organizations, they are always more than welcome to come talk to our delegates at our weekly Monday meetings.

HCM: What other organizations are you involved with on campus?

Schedule

AF: I am part of the PHA Sorority Alpha Chi Omega, and am also the Director of External Recruitment for MizzouThon. 

Schedule

A writer and creator with a weird sense of humor. A big fan of the golden rule and an even bigger fan of the Blackhawks. Chicago-born, Mizzou-made. HCXO