9 Bold Lipsticks to Try This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

When I tell people I own a lot of lipstick, I don’t think people fully understand what I mean. I have an almost inhuman amount of lipsticks. I can’t stop; I won’t stop.

I have a lot of conventional colors, like soft pinks and nudes, but my favorites are the downright strange ones. It’s absurd that people think they can’t pull off bolder colors because they aren’t brave enough or don’t have the right lip shape. 

First of all, you are most definitely brave enough. Even considering the shade makes you brave enough. Second of all, all lip shapes are weird because lips in general are just really, really weird. So don’t sweat it. 

Fall is the perfect time to get daring with what you wear fashion-wise, and that translates over to your makeup. The leaves are changing colors, it isn’t blistering hot anymore, and Halloween is just around the corner. Trying a lipstick that’s out of your comfort zone can be nerve-wracking, I know, but there’s no better time to jump in. There’s a whole new world out there waiting for you. 

I’ve swatched some of my more unusual fall lipsticks for you, both on my lips and on my arm. Some of these are, unfortunately, limited edition, and since lipsticks can easily be sold out as well, I’ve included a dupe option for each one. 

There was, tragically, a lipstick I had to leave out of this lineup. Bite Beauty’s Amusa Bouche Lipstick in “Kale” is a gorgeous dark hunter green that I was excited to swatch for you all but I lost my tube. Which is absolutely infuriating considering that ish is $26 per lipstick. FML. 

Hold onto your hats, and get ready to fall in love. Or, at least, enjoy how I made the exact same facial expression every time. 

Navy Blue 

I know, I’m starting out strong with this one. I’m not going to lie to you, it’s also pretty hard to work with, not only because of the shade but also keeping it impeccable. The key to pulling off these crazier shades is making it look very clean and crisp. You want to look like a rich widow that may or may not have killed her husband, not a drowned ghost. Or, maybe you do? Either way, this shade is perfect for adding a layer of dark mystery to your look. 

My lipstick: Maybelline Bolds Matte in “Sapphire Siren” Alternative: Illamasqua Lipstick in “Disciple”

Gold 

If you’ve ever wanted to showcase how priceless you are, this is the way to do it, my friends. Encrust yourself in gold, and glimmer like the goddess you are. Become that golden butterfly Snapchat filter. Unfortunately, the lipstick I used for this was part of a limited edition Star Wars collection. As far as I know, they’ve stopped making it, which is absolutely devastating. But don’t worry, you can still find it on Amazon (which I’ve linked) and maybe in some out-of-the-loop Walmarts. If you don’t want to go that route, there’s plenty of other gold lippies to choose from. 

My lipstick: Covergirl Star Wars Lipstick in “No. 40” Alternative: Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in “Trick”

Wine

This is probably one of the more subdued ones in the bunch. That being said, if you aren’t used to wearing bold colors, it can be challenging. The lipstick I’m wearing is a very dark cherry color with hints of silver metallic, but not overdone. Mulled wine is the quintessential autumn drink, so obviously, it needs to be your quintessential autumn lipstick. Again, for dark colors like this, take your time and create a crisp line. 

My lipstick: Rimmel Lasting Finish in “Bordeaux” Alternative: Colourpop Lippie Stix in “Ellarie”

Greige 

I swatched this in Ulta, thought it looked like gross wet cement, and immediately bought it. For those who don’t get the name, it’s basically a greyish, or very cool-toned, beige color. I’d recommend either going barefaced or going heavy on bronzer/blush when wearing a lipstick like this, to avoid looking lifeless. If you’ve ever wanted to capture the essence of grandma chic, this is your time to shine.

My Lipstick: NYX Liquid Suede Cream in “Sandstorm”  Alternative: OCC Lip Tar in “Structure” 

(Note: If you want to get a full-on, not-playing-around grey lipstick, ColouredRaine’s Matte Lip Paint in “Heart of Stone” is ace.)

Orange 

It’s gourd season, y’all. While most people take that to mean carving pumpkins, I take it as using pumpkins for makeup inspiration. Orange lipstick is relatively well-known in beauty circuits and makeup communities, but it’s still considered strange as far as mainstream goes. Orange lipstick is an easy way to add vibrancy and festiveness to your face with minimal effort. 

My lipstick: Wet n Wild Megalast Lip Color in “24 Carrot Gold” (damn that’s a good name) Alternative: Kat Von D Studded Kiss in “A-Go-Go”

Lavender 

Lavender means cute pastel witches, fuzzy halloween socks and fairy princess costumes. Basically, my ideal fall aesthetic. Wearing pastel shades is, in general, very tricky because it can accentuate dry patches on your lips and settle into creases. Plus, if you get blotchy skin throughout the day, it can highlight that as well. I like to wear lavender with some BB cream on, and exfoliate my lips before hand.

My lipstick: Katy Kat Matte in “Cosmo Kitty”  Alternative: Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lip in “Blow Pony”

(Note: this photo made the lipstick look a lot darker than it really is)

Brown

I’m talking ’90s brown. As in, Rachel Green’s lipstick look from the first season of “Friends.” As in, a lipstick look that your grunge aunt would be proud of. Brown is such an easy look that gets progressively more wearable the darker your skin tone is. So if you have dark skin, this is the most neutral shade out of the bunch for you. However, if you have light skin, dark brown can be a statement look. Also, who even cares if it’s messy? You’re channeling your Winona Ryder. 

My lipstick: Wet n Wild Megalast Lip Color in “Mocha-licious”  Alternative: Hard Candy Fierce Effects Lipstick in “Virtual Reality” 

True Red

You may be asking yourself why I’ve just included plain red. However, a lot of people (like me circa 2014) are terrified of red lipstick and the loudness associated with it. There’s just something about red lipstick that screams fierceness. You’ll have to do some searching to find a red that reads true on your lips; here’s a great guide for brown-skinned lipstick lovers. Everyone’s different so that means doing some sleuthing. 

My lipstick: NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in “Cruella”  Alternative: Tons. Go forth and find your holy grail red lipstick. However, check out the L’oreal Reds Collection to get started.

Eggplant 

Or should I say aubergine? Whatever you call it, it’s deadlier than lavender, a lot more mysterious, and definitely a #look. Also, oddly, one of the easiest unusual shades to pull off. Purple is closest to the shades we usually play with, like red and pink, so you have absolutely no excuse. Paint the town purple. 

My lipstick: Maybelline Bolds Matte in “Violet Vixen” Alternative: OFRA Long Lasting Liquid Lipstick in “New Orleans”

And there you have it, folks. Take this as inspiration to not only try these shades, but all the different ones I didn’t have the space to mention. Neon yellow, anyone? Holographic gloss, perhaps? Maybe even a pure white? Not to mention pitch black. 

Oh and here are all the shades swatched on my arm, in order of appearance: 

Fall is the perfect time to get weird, kiddos. Embrace it. 

CC for Mizzou's chapter of Her Campus! I am currently a senior at the Missouri School of Journalism, specializing in magazine editing. Have a wonderful day, you! 
HC Contributer Mizzou