8 People You Meet at a Mizzou Tailgate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It’s gameday, you’re clad in your black and gold and heading out for an afternoon of tailgating fun. Who can you expect to meet on your journey to Faurot Field? I can almost guarantee you’ll meet one of each of these people:

1.) The Mom who gets “Thanksgiving” and “Tailgating” Confused
I mean they both begin with “T” and end in “ing,” right? If you’ve never met one of these women, I feel sorry for you. There is nothing like the mother who has a cooler like Mary Poppins’ purse. It just keeps producing plate, after plate, after plate. Chips, dips, sandwiches, brownies, trail mix, cookies, casseroles. the works. Maybe I’m just a broke college kid who enjoys a free meal, but she might be my favorite tailgater of all.

2.) The True Tiger Trailer Owner
You know the row of Mizzou Trailers behind the Hearnes Center? Next gameday, stop by and ask if you can check one out. Chances are, the owners take kindly to anyone in black and gold, and some of the trailers are really cool. I’ve seen built-in kegs, tiger-print sheets on the beds, and surround sound speakers that you can plug your iPod or iPhone into. It sure beats the old tiger tail my parents used to stick on the back of the van on gamedays!

3.) The Precious Elderly Couple
As students, I feel like we miss out on these sometimes because they usually have season tickets on the west side of the stadium. Every now and then though you run into one long enough to snap a photo like this:

4.) The Tiger Lair Fanatic
These students love Mizzou Football so passionately that they brave the front row with painted stomachs no matter the weather or the opponent. They help keep the morale of the student section up throughout the game with their loud cheers and presence on the big screen. I don’t usually see them at tailgates because they’re busy getting front row seats, but gameday wouldn’t be the same without them! 

5.) The SEC Fan
After the Georgia game, it became apparent that Tigers would have to become ready to welcome a new kind of tailgater into our tents and trailers: the SEC fan. These fans are intense, and they come in hordes to watch their team no matter the distance. They arrive in bright colored chinos embroidered with their team’s logo and can deliver a healthy dose of southern charm. They’re loud, and they’re definitely passionate, but these fans are also a lot of fun. 

6.) The Snoozer
With our football schedule heavy on night games, these tailgaters are getting easier and easier to spot through the day. They’ve indulged in the abundance of tailgating delights, perhaps got up a little too early, maybe a had a few too many beers before kickoff, and are now sound asleep in the lawn chair while everyone else leaves to get a seat for kickoff. 

7.) Too Cute to Tailgate
These are the girls who think of gameday more like a fashion show than a sporting event. They wear heels, wedges, fringe boots, and dresses in frigid temperatures. Don’t get me wrong, dressing up for the Tigers is half the fun, but it’s important to be realistic about all the walking and the exposure to the elements that gameday entails. Flats, Sperry’s, jeans, and cardigans can look super cute and still be comfortable. 

8.) The Gary Pinkel Wannabe
The visor, the vest, the sunglasses … I think it’s safe to say Gary is becoming a style icon! Boys all around campus aspire to dress like our coach on gamedays. Take a look around the parking lots next week and I’m sure you’ll find one. 

Photo Credits:
http://jennysteffens.blogspot.com/2011/09/game-day-tailgate-party-recipe…
http://mizzouwire.missouri.edu/stories/2008/senior-football/index.php
http://pinterest.com/pin/157977899399325526/
http://www.zimbio.com/Gary+Pinkel/pictures/pro