7 Fashion Trends We’ll Always Regret

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Back when the grass was green and the girls weren’t looking their best (ahem, middle school), all of our styles were at an all-time low. Now, let us take a walk down memory lane featuring the most horrendous fashion faux pas of our pre-pubescence.

1. Gaucho pants

Why not wear a pair of pants this obscenely flowy? There’s so much more room for activities! Pair it with a sequined shrug and ballet flats and you’re ready for virtually any occasion.

2. Graphic tees

I personally thought they were helpful. They let you know whom to avoid without even talking to them. Think about it—did you ever see any girls conversing with the “Babe, go make me a sandwich” guys?

3. Bermuda shorts

Plaid and knee-length, these bad boys could turn any public middle school into what looked like a resort town inhabited by upper-class, middle-aged women that liked to golf.

4. Slip-on Vans

At least they were helpful for when your mom was picking you up from your friend’s house and you only had minimal time to put on your shoes and hop in her van before you had to pick up your little brother up from soccer practice.

5. Abercrombie everything

You couldn’t leave the house if your Abercrombie v-neck didn’t have an Abercrombie lace-trimmed tank top peeking out from underneath. Helpful hint: To prove your clothes were actually purchased from the real Abercrombie store, bring your lunch to school in the alarmingly erotic Abercrombie bag everyday for the next month or two.

6. Neon hair extensions

Hair extensions, presumably made from the bristles of a broom, could be clipped in to sophisticate even the simplest of looks. Keep in mind — these were only for those unlucky ones whose parents wouldn’t let them dye their hair with blue Kool-Aid.

7. The Juicy sweatsuit 

I think the fact that the costume designers of “Mean Girls” chose a juicy sweat suit to highlight Regina George’s weight gain should have been indicator enough to stay far, far away from these unflattering getups. But alas, we wore them anyways. 

HC Contributer Mizzou