6 Small Ways to Practice Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

In college, the days are long and your temper is short, so having a pamper night every once in a while is well-deserved. Given the recent events occurring in the U.S., taking the time to care for yourself, both mentally and physically, is essential. Knock off some of that stress, sadness or anger you might be feeling with a few of these relaxing self-care tips.

Take a Bath

This one’s limited to off-campus gals. Grab some Lush bath bombs and scented candles, and chill for the night. Spotify even has a relaxation playlist to help you unwind, which you can check out here: https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/3InXOgDxJPeA05l6rQyDoe

Give Yourself a Makeover

There’s something therapeutic about applying makeup. Pull out your makeup bag, and try out some of your favorite beauty gurus’ go-to looks. Who knows, you might even find one you love.

Meditation

Most people opt for yoga, but meditation can be as simple as finding a quiet spot and reflecting on your day. The purpose of meditation isn’t to clear your mind, but to focus your mind on one thought out of the thousands you have during the day.

Have Some Sweets

Having a sweet tooth isn’t such a bad thing on pamper nights. Stay in and bake cupcakes, or, if you’re not up for kitchen cleaning, order some cookies, or bring out that tub of ice cream from the freezer—we won’t judge.

Journaling

Journaling is a great way to release all your stress in one place. You can even use it for doodling or poetry. Those Tumblr kids are onto something, apparently.

Do a Hair Treatment

Hair treatments are relaxing and beneficial to your hair. You can buy premade hair masks or make your own at home using ingredients like coconut oil, eggs or olive oil. Leave the treatment in your hair for around 15 to 30 minutes for the best results.

Mizzou alumni with a passion for writing
HC Contributer Mizzou