5 MTV Shows We All Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

MTV released that they’re making a reboot of an old-school classic: Cribs. This got us thinking about those other MTV gems we forgot about over the years. Bust out the cheesy hip hop and drama of the 2000s as we reminisce.

1. Parental Control

How could we forget about “Parental Control?” You think your parents have the best judgment? Let’s give them the power over your love life. All the meanwhile, your current partner gets to watch you on multiple dates on your parents living room TV! Gotta love it.

2. Next

Up Next: “Next.” The best part of this show was when a contestant walks out of the “Next” van. A little bio of them revealed the most bizarre baggage that every contestant had confidence in. These caricatures made almost every date say “next.”

3. Punk’d

Punk’d is a classic MTV show. The camera pans and close-ups were to die for. Every time Ashton Kutcher would reveal his Punk’d plan, different camera angles and a mixture of black and white footage kept us all on edge. The actual Punk’d pranks were pretty entertaining too.

For the reboot a couple of years ago, things just weren’t the same without Ashton as a host. His enthusiasm and baseball caps just aren’t replaceable.

4. Pimp My Ride

Something about “Pimp my Ride” made all of us wish we had a crappy car just to go through the makeover. With Xzibit as a host, along with his crew of top of the notch car and stereo experts, a beat up car becomes unrecognizable. Common themes on these episodes always seemed to be vinyl paint jobs with stenciled flames, some type of cooking equipment in the trunk, and TVs placed in places TVs should not go.

5. My Super Sweet 16

Before the days of “Bridezilla,” and other Diva-esque type shows, there was the original: “My Super Sweet 16.” Remember those birthday girls who would spend crazy amounts of money on just invitations? I’m pretty sure there was an episode where doves were a part of the invitation package. The process of a Super Sweet Sixteen was one filled with drama but the actual party was always worth it. Crazy guest rappers and limousines set all of our expectations a little too high.

MTV brought us some great shows that seem pretty ridiculous looking back. Not all the hits could make the list, and maybe for a reason. (“Date My Mom”?) I’ll just leave it at that.

I'm a 30 Rock enthusiast who also loves David Bowie. That's all you need to know.
A writer and creator with a weird sense of humor. A big fan of the golden rule and an even bigger fan of the Blackhawks. Chicago-born, Mizzou-made. HCXO