The 5 Halloween Costumes Girls Wear In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It’s time to get the pumpkin rolling (pun intended) and start finding the perfect Halloween costume. After all, Halloween only comes around once a year right?

1. The Character Costume

The character costume is one of my personal favorites for a number of reasons. Mostly because it usually ends up being a costume from “Lord of the Rings” or “Harry Potter,” with which, in my opinion, you can never go wrong. I’m going to be honest, I’m a sucker for a good Hermione costume and an even bigger sucker for a Galadriel costume, but at the end of the night this is definitely a costume that needs to be worn with the right attitude. 

2. The Cute Costume

The cute costume is a force to be reckoned with.  At first glance you just see an ordinary girl who just so happens to be dressed as Olaf, but under all those layers is a girl who genuinely understands the meaning of Halloween. This girl doesn’t care about attention or getting noticed, which not only makes her fun, but also allows for a truly memorable Halloween experience. 

3. The “I Just Made This 10 Minutes Ago” Costume

The girls that wear this costume always wait last minute to do things and why should costume shopping be any different?  They rummage through their closet for hours and usually end up borrowing something from a friend.  I admit that I probably fall under this category, partially because I hate shopping, but mostly because I am a moocher that never likes to wear her own clothes. This typically results in some type of school girl or cowgirl getup. 

4. The Couples Costume

The couples costume is definitely one of my least favorites.  I understand that you want the world to know that you’re dating, but can this be the one day out of the year where we don’t? Besides, if you split up later in the night, I’m sure the costume would lose its original appeal and you would definitely much rather spend a night out with the girls (or maybe that’s just me).  Either way, I think you should do us all a favor and save the couples costume for never another time.

5. The Sexy Costume

I’m sure we all remember that scene in “Mean Girls” where you see Regina George wearing a costume that is supposed to resemble a bunny and Karen and Gretchen wearing their costumes in similar fashion. Well, that’s college for you.  I personally see nothing wrong with taking this approach (I’m sure the majority of girls feel this way too) but just remember, Cady got Aaron Samuels in the end and she was dressed as the bride of Frankenstein.   

Regardless of what you decide to dress up as, we here at Her Campus Mizzou are wishing you a Happy Halloween!

HC Contributer Mizzou