5 Childhood TV Shows We Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

As you grow up, your favorite TV shows change as your interests change, like from Gordo in “Lizzie McGuire” to Seth Cohen in “The O.C.” Alhough we’ve graduated from the Disney and Nick days, there are still those shows that will *fingers crossed* have reruns. From Miley Cyrus pre-“Wrecking Ball” to 30 minutes spent watching an animated sponge hang out in a place called Bikini Bottom, these are the shows you know you miss most from your childhood.

Lizzie McGuire

It was always comforting to know that when you had embarrassing moments in front of your crush, so did Lizzie. The show was relatable, funny and had a cute little animated Lizzie that would pop in every once in a while. Never forget: Team Ethan vs. Team Gordo came WAY before Team Edward vs. Team Jacob. “The Lizzie McGuire Movie” — need I say more? It was sad to see Lizzie go, but the movie was so perfect it was almost worth the end of one of the best shows Disney ever gave us.

Hey Arnold!

“Hey Arnold!” was definitely one of the best animated shows of our childhood. Who didn’t love watching this kid with a football-head hang out with his other animated friends, all with equally strange-shaped heads? Helga was the classic example of a girl who didn’t know how to flirt but instead awkwardly bullied Arnold because she liked him. Remember stoop kid? “Hey Arnold!” also had a movie, though not as epic as “The Lizzie McGuire Movie” (will anything ever be?).

Full House

Who didn’t wish they could be a Tanner sister? It was virtually impossible to not fall in love with every character on the show from Michelle (Olsen twins, hello!) to hot Uncle Jesse and even annoying Kimmy.  “You got it dude” and “How rude!” were remarkably still cute even after 1,000 times — it’s the “Full House” charm. AND “Full House” fans rejoice: Netflix recently announced a spin-off called “Fuller House” that will be released in 2016 and star some of our favorite faces from the original series. Have mercy…

Hannah Montana

This was the show that made Miley Cyrus famous, when she was still young and innocent and Disney Channel-esque. We really did get the best of both world with Hannah Montana — an amazing TV show AND Hannah/Miley music strung throughout! 

SpongeBob Squarepants

Shoutout to the creators of SpongeBob — they made a hilarious animated show about a sea sponge that lives in a pineapple. Watching SpongeBob episodes now is still funny because Nickelodeon is sneaky with some of the jokes and a lot of them flew over our heads when we were kids. You got to love a sponge with a pet snail and a plankton for an enemy. This show was perfectly paired with an after-school snack for mindless enjoyment after a grueling day at elementary school.

Maya McDowell is a Chicago-based freelance writer and editor who covers lifestyle, beauty, and entertainment. She graduated from the University of Missouri in 2017, where she studied magazine journalism and psychology. When she’s not writing, you can find her reading memoirs, at improv class, or shamelessly DMing her fave celebs.
Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.