3 Little Ways to be a Feminist During Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

March 1 indicated the start of Women’s History Month. Here’s three little things you can do during the month of March to support the badass women in your life!

1.     Buy Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s “Dear Ijeawele: Or, A Feminist Manifesto in 15 Suggestions.”

Adichie’s spectacular novel is written as a letter to her dear friend. In around 60 pages, Adichie dictates how to raise a daughter as a feminist in the 21st century. Adichie is a world-renowned author who has been featured in Beyoncé songs (!!!!!). Her latest novel is a contemporary look at what it means to be a feminist in today’s modern culture.

2.     Watch the CW’s “Supergirl.” 

It is surprisingly hard to find a TV series in which there is a female lead who is not obsessed with boys, marriage or all of the above. This fantastic TV series features a female lead who helps save the world. What more could you want?! (Editor’s Note: Additionally, there are a lot of amazing shows to watch once you binge “Supergirl” this spring break, like “Parks and Rec”, “Brooklyn 99”, “Broad City” and “Call the Midwife”!) 

3.     In honor of Women’s History Month, take time to donate to Planned Parenthood!

This amazing organization provides health care to poor women without access and gives women below the poverty line access to abortion. This country’s current congress has been throwing accusation after accusation at the organization and is threating to cut PP’s funding. It is up to concerned citizens to continue to fund Planned Parenthood’s amazing contributions to society. 

HC Contributer Mizzou