This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Dressing for success is an important aspect of every interview. In order to obtain employment somewhere, you have to dress the part. For many interviews, this might be your first and only impression. Therefore, it’s important that you not only know about the company and prepare yourself for questions, but also dress nicely and professionally. Unlike men, women can’t just throw on a suit and tie; our patriarchal society holds us to a higher standard and has a certain image of what a working woman should look like. Here are some tips on what you can wear that’ll let you remain true to your style and definitely get you the job.

Comfortable Shoes

Although they may look nice (and expensive), you’re Jimmy Choos are not the most practical choice when going into an interview. You should avoid unnecessarily large heels or distracting patterns. When you go to an interview, it’s not certain whether you’ll be standing or sitting, so make sure you have shoes that can accommodate for both situations. Some cute ballet flats or 1 in.-1 ½ in. heels may be your best choice, and they’ll still make the outfit, rather than break it.

Appropriate Length Skirts or Dresses

As a rule of thumb, you should wear an outfit that even your grandmother would approve of. To demonstrate professionalism, if you wear skirts or dresses they should remain at knee length, or an inch above. The skirts and dresses themselves don’t have to the fanciest, however when it doubt, it’s better to overdress than underdress. Avoid strapless dresses or spaghetti straps, unless you throw a blazer over it! The outfit should be appropriate overall.

No Excessive Jewelry

Although you can always accessorize with your outfits, try to steer away from bulky or gaudy jewelry. When you’re at an interview, you want the focus to remain on you, not the items you choose to adorn yourself with. While it might seem fun to dress with bangles that would make Madonna proud, it’s best to keep them for another day. Appropriate items that would still add a fashionable flair to your outfits can include scarves, small rings and simple necklaces.

All Natural Makeup

Similar to wearing jewelry, you don’t want makeup that’s going to distract your employer from you during the interview. Instead, keep the makeup to a minimum and go for a more natural approach. You can always add pops of color, such as a slightly redder lip or a darker skin-tone eyeshadow, however certain shades like green, purple and blue should probably remain in your makeup box. What you wear to an interview should make your face look fresh and clean, which should be different from the makeup you’d wear later that night as you celebrate getting the job.

Dress for the Job

Above all, the most important thing to remember when heading to an interview is dressing for the job you want. An outfit you would wear to get a fashion internship may not be the same outfit you’d wear to get an internship at law firm. One way to gauge how you should dress is to see what others in that line of profession are wearing. For example, if you notice that the majority of the people who are a part of that industry are wearing tailored suits, perhaps invest in a suit to match. Employers will notice this, and it’ll be an additive bonus to why they should hire you.

Following all these tips of what to wear will help, but the most important thing to wear to an interview is your confidence. Adhering to these guidelines and also being comfortable in your own skin is a match that cannot be ignored and will impress your future employers. Just be your cute collegiate self and there’s no interview you can’t nail.

Second year student at the University of Minnesota, planning to major in Journalism and Political Science, as well as minor in Spanish.
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.